Cable Tv, Landlines, Dish & The Www

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Denise Evans, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I would love to hear people's take on the internet, and how it is becoming our only need for communication (Skype, using it as a phone, TV). What I wonder is, what these companies are planning to do as their business dwindles because of the internet (I assume it will/is dwindling). Will they, or maybe "are they" already buying up internet rights so they won't lose out, and if so, will our charges go up for internet service?

It doesn't seem right if it does go up, but I feel it is coming. What do you all think about, or maybe know about our future internet services?? Will someone be able to monopolize our world wide web??

2. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't imagine that the internet is going anyplace very soon. I do think that some of the older more traditional companies will have to change the way they operate. they might have to diversify to keep in business and we are seeing this already. Amazon is hardly an old company but I have read they have bought into television.

I think in our life time that will be the biggest thing we will see, I can't imagine how the cable companied will compete as more and more television viewing is either going ala carte with internet streaming ability, or new players are coming on in specialized libraries. I like that viewing is more like a directory these days, it is so nice if I want to watch an old movie just to be able to find it. this might be great news for theaters as they will still remain the best place to launch motion pictures.

I have always said one of the things that will change would be television, I imagined that the computer screen would take the place of the television set, and for the most part that has happened. I imagined that there would be a change in the way we communicate and that has happened with cell phones. I think it is great to get all that you need communication wise on one devise.

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

Good points Jenn, thank you:)

It is sure easier for me as I live in small spaces, that's all I need, and I can still use my nice tv I bought a couple years back. I mean for streaming, or dvd's through an HDMI cord.

I was just thinking about theatres, and how wonderful it still is to go on occasion. Just high-priced but so worth it, at least for the new releases;) I was so sad seeing all the "drive-in" theatres gone when I go through different towns I knew as a child/teen. I suppose we need to start a "days gone by" thread but honestly, those make me a little depressed. I sometimes have those regrets of doing things the wrong way. Wanting another shot at my early life;)

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have AT&T Uverse now which is my TV, Phone and internet. It costs me about $150 a month for all three.

After finding out how expensive medicare will be Im thinking of canceling my TV and even my home phone. I never watch TV anymore except to fall asleep. I do have Netflix and Amazon video and I also have a dropbox where Terry, who has a million movies, drops one that I request.

My only problem is that my ADT security system uses my phone line but Im even thinking of getting rid of that...I only turn it on at night and I think my dog would bark if anybody broke in!

Does anyone know if I need the phone line for wireless?

If I do these few changes...I will have saved almost $200!

5. Denise Evans

Registered

No phoneline with wifi or wireless internet Chrissy. It's all about personal preference, what you can live with and what you can honestly live without. I know you have an IPAD right? You may want to invest in at least a laptop for movies, as I am not sure you can use an HDMI cord from an IPAD?? Maybe someone here will know the answer to that.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I watch movies on my ipad now...what will be the difference? I do have a computer also, just never use it.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

The HDMI cord goes from the device (IPAD or computer) to the big-screen TV. So it's like a projector. It's easy breezy to set up as long as your "source" device has an HDMI output, and your TV has HDMI input;) Sort of like the USB ports on a computer, only a bit larger.

Like this:

[​IMG]

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you get an Apple TV box @Chrissy Page , then you can just watch all of your Netflix movies right on your television with no trouble.
    It will also do Hulu+, and several other movies channels that you do not need cable for.
    Of course, anything that you have on your ipad , you can then project on your TV screen , using Airplay; so you can even use the TV as an oversized monitor if you like to do that.

I usually watch movies on my iPad because Bobby and I have totally different tastes in movies; but when we are watching one together, then we do put it on the TV screen.
    Apple TV will also play any music that you have on iTunes, plus you can use all of the pictures in your photostream as a screensaver.
    Even though ours is several years old; I just love the Apple TV, and the new edition that just came out this year is even better, and does SO much more.
    They are still priced around $100; so not cheap, but they will do so many things and save you lots of money by not needing cable.
    We also have Amazon Prime, and I watch those on the TV with airplay, as well as you can put up any webpage, or youtube video.

Chrissy Cross and Denise Evans like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

All this is over my head!! Will keep rereading it though. But sounds affordable....Thanks.

Seems there are plenty of other options out there, maybe even better than what I am wasting money on now.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

This sounds wonderful! I way more "set to go" for Chrissy, easier!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

I see them as better because I can "choose" to watch, when I want to. Also, we can pause the programs, no commercials, and just very cool, and all-in-one sort of deal sweetie! Yvonnes sounds good and she is way familiar with the Apples;) I haven't used anything MacIntosh for many years. But that's only because at the time I bought my pc's and laptops, I couldn't afford the Apples.

12. Yvonne Smith

Here is the Apple TV part of the presentation from the last Apple Event that they had in September. There were lots of shorter reviews of the new Apple TV on Youtube; but most of them just went into the mechanics of how it works, or just the new gaming apps that it now has. This is a longer video; but it totally explains all about the new version of the Apple TV.
    One of the new features is that it has a touchpad/remote, just like the iphone and ipad have, so you can do things with the remote that have never been possible before.
    It also connects with SIRI , and you can ask for the movies that you want to watch, and SIRI will find them for you.
    It not only has more included channels than ever before; but now it also has its own app store, where you can add apps to the TV, just like you do with an ipad.
    The remote charges just like an iPhone does; so no batteries to replace. And if you play games; you can also use any other special gaming remote that you have. I never play games; so I know nothing about this part, but the video makes it look pretty awesome !

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

What is total cost to have all you need with that Yvonne? If it's a lot, Chrissy may be better off just getting Netflix. I don't know though, but curious. I think SIRI and some of those things are expensive, but she already has the IPAD so maybe she has pretty much all she needs;) denise

14. Yvonne Smith

Denise, the total cost for her would be the $100 to buy the box. She already has subscriptions to Netflix, and whatever else she watches on her ipad; and those would now also be on the TV as well.
    Obviously, she still needs her internet connection to use this; but she has to have that for the ipad anyway.
    Some of the apps would cost, just like they do at the app store for any tablet or phone, so if she bought any of the ones that cost, then that would be extra; but apps are not usually expensive,most are free, and once you have them, they don't ever cost again.
    I don't remember the exact cost for the Apple TV, and it seems to me that there are a couple of versions, and one is more like $150; but that would be easy for her to check and compare.
    Also, some of the TV programs require buying them, like if you wanted a whole season of some special program. One thing that is popular about that is that you can watch the whole season at the speed you want to watch, instead of waiting for it to come on each week.
    Plus, once you buy it, just like buying a movie, then you can watch it over and over, as often as you want.
    If @Chrissy Page doesn't want the new one with all the apps, then there are big discounts on the older models now, as well.
    So there are lots of options, just a matter of which one works best for her.

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

so apple tv is sort of like netflix it sounds. I do understand apps, as my smartphone has many, and yes, most are free;) Sounds good especially since she is already started with Apple;) IPAD!