Cabin Work

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ken Anderson, May 6, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, assuming they're just spirited youths on a jaunt, it could be mean. However, it could also teach them a lesson about respecting the property of others and prevent them from escalating their behavior and ending up in worse trouble in the future. I know what you're saying, and I think it's probably treated somewhat differently up there. Down here, if I had children or grandchildren and they did that I would definitely dissuade them, because once on another's property, they could be shot. I'm always amazed at how many people still trespass, though. It doesn't sound as if the ones on your property did any lasting damage, although since I'm not in favor of unnecessary hunting, if I owned land, I wouldn't want anyone using it to kill animals. I understand some people hunt to put food on their table, but I'm not in favor of trophy hunting.

Here's a story from the local news about ATVs causing costly damage to a golf course: http://abc13.com/news/atv-riders-vandalized-houston-golf-course-green-club-says/1342252/

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

There was a time when you could have a pond dug on your property and stocked with fish by whoever is in charge of this kind of stuff in your State and it wouldn't cost you anything. Do you know if that is done where your 100 acres are Ken? If it is you could have a private swimming place and fish to catch and eat too.

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

That sounds really nice @Babs Hunt. I've never heard of that before. I wonder if it was specific to one or just a few states? It seems the EPA and other government agencies are cracking down on so many things these days, I think it's unlikely they would permit that sort of thing, if they had any say, at least. I don't know if y'all have heard about this case, but it appears the landowner is actually prevailing against the EPA. http://www.inquisitr.com/3085124/wy...hts-epa-over-a-pond-on-private-land-and-wins/ The NY Times actually did a story on it as well, but it doesn't seem they've updated it with the recent news.

Babs Hunt and Von Jones like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

My brother had in done here in Louisiana at one time. When we would go to his place out in the country we would catch some catfish with corn kernels. :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I lived in Missouri, the property had three nice ponds on it, and I used to fish in all three of them. Most of the people around there also had ponds on their properties, and that is where their livestock cooled down and drank. it was not unusual at all to see cattle standing or lying down in the ponds.
    The rain would fill the ponds up sometimes almost to overflowing.
    I think the difference in regulation might be whether the pond affected a natural water flow, like a creek running across the property.
    Most of these ponds were just holes drug into the ground where the rainwater could run into them and fill the ponds up, so they didn't affect any natural creeks or springs.
    As long as a person was just making a hole and letting it fill up with rainwater, there should not be a problem with having to have special permits.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

I agree, there shouldn't be a problem with building a pond that would be man filled or replenished naturally with rain. The man in the story I posted had obtained a state permit, but the federal government didn't feel that was good enough. I've seen mention of other cases where it didn't seem there was any existing running water incorporated into or affected by the ponds that the EPA has taken issue with, but I don't have links. Not much surprises me these days.