Cabbage Lasagna

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Yvonne Smith, May 3, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just discovered this recipe tonight, and since I like cabbage and also like lasagna, I think that this might be a more healthy way to make it. It is gluten-free and also low carb, and looked pretty simple to make.
    We don't usually heat up the oven in the summer, and I am not sure how this would come out cooked in the Ninja; so I may or may not try it right away.
    The recipe calls for long cabbage "lasagna noodles"; but I think that they might not cut as easily as regular lasagna noodles do.
    Most cabbage is pretty tough and stringy, unless it is cut into smaller pieces, so I think that I will shred it up into smaller slices than they show in the recipe.

Chrissy Cross and Clare Smith like this.
  2. Clare Smith

Clare Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll try it...:);)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds good. I agree with it being hard to eat though. I make a similar tasting thing in my sauté pan. Doesnt look like lasagne but probably tastes very similar to the one in video since the ingredients are almost the same.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

I have the cabbage (enough for a small pan of this) and today I got the tomato sauce and some cheese; so tomorrow I will probably try out this recipe and see how it tastes.
    What do you put in the one that you make in the sauté pan, @Chrissy Cross , and what does it taste like ?
    I like cabbage, and this looks like an interesting way to eat it.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I sauté onions, ground turkey (prefer it over beef), sometimes garlic but not always, add TJs marina sauce, sometimes just tomato sauce (always no salt added) then I mix that with cooked cut up cabbage and let it cook a little longer.

If I wanted to make it more Italian then I'd add oregano, etc and the cheeses.

But for me somehow cheese doesn't go well with cabbage...

Let us know how it turned out @Yvonne Smith

I always do a big batch of basic sautéed onions, garlic and ground turkey and I go from there...adding something different with each portion.

I like it mixed with shredded Brussels sprouts, riiced cauliflower or sometimes I add mushrooms.

The combinations are endless!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Tonight I finally got around to trying out the cabbage lasagna. We are impressed with this meal ! It is very low-carb and healthy compared to lasagna made with regular pasta noodles, and at the same time, it has the great taste of lasagna.
    I think that this would also be good made with long slices of zucchini squash, too, and I may try that next time. It is similar to eggplant Parmesan, which I also really like.
    I can definitely recommend this recipe if you like lasagna, and want to avoid the pasta carbs.