Buying Extra Because Of The Corona Virus Situation?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know about the word "ridiculous", Yvonne. As of last night: 1.1 million have gotten the virus and 64,000 deaths of it. But, anyway.

We just received our second order, from online, of digital thermometer protection probe covers. And, from online also, our first order of 10 surgical/dentistry masks. Have still to get the order of 50, from Amazon.

Yesterday, the Denver City Council passed a City Order requiring everyone in Denver to wear a face mask when going into a public place. If the person isn't wearing one, they will be asked/told to leave the public place (building/shop/store).

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Now people are hoarding meat.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

And buying freezers to hoard it with !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

That's really funny when the power goes out for a couple of days.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

She didn’t say that the virus itself was “ridiculous” but did allude to the fact that the whole response to it is ridiculous and it definitely is. Anyway.

I had to stay in Denver whilst fulfilling a contract but after it was completed I left and I doubt seriously if I’ll ever go back.
    Too many criminals wearing face masks!

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of getting a 5000W generator just to keep the food safe if we ever have a repeat of the tornado that ran amok a few years ago and turned out the lights for about 10 days.
    Besides, it’s a tool. it has buttons, meters, levers and knobs and stuff and goes vrooom vroom.

All that said, Yvonne said I got some meat well, yeah i did. A whole NY and a whole brisket of beef. Next week maybe a whole prime. I’m not trying to hoard anything but I definitely do like meat and if I can get it at the prices I did today.....I’m in.

7. Ken Anderson

I have a butane generator but, apparently, unthinkingly, the little building that I built to house it in is buried under several feet of snow every winter, which is about the only time that we have power outages. The snow sliding off the metal roof lands on top of it so, by the end of the winter, the snow is pretty much level with the roof. I'm going to have to move that this summer. Personally, I think I could place it in our library without asphyxiating anyone. The part of the house we're using as a library was added onto the house. It has its own foundation, and an exterior wall and an exterior door separate it from the rest of the house. Of course, since it's technically indoors, the electrician wouldn't hook it up that way.

Before I'd hoard meat, I'd want to be pretty darned sure that I wasn't going to lose the ability to keep it frozen. Our freezer quit working a few months ago and, by the time we noticed, we had lost everything in it, so I'm kind of careful about storing too much meat.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Things have relaxed over here. Virtually no hoarding, no empty shelves. The items some people used to hoard like TP and sanitizers are available again. I wonder why they would be hoarding meat now. What's the rationale?

Wearing masks is mandatory in shops and public transport, highly recommendable in doctor's offices and partly obligatory in certain lines of business. Schooling and daycares are causing the biggest headache. There's a lot of resistance to opening schools again too soon from parents, students, and teachers. The summer term at universities will be a virtual one, which is impossible for schools since they are poorly equipped.

Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Most likely, Bobby, if you and Yvonne had a family member get the virus and possibly die, both of you would think much differently.

We'd never live in Denver either, but we'd also never again live in the South.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Since the subject of thread is about buying extra during this #SCAMDEMIC, I'd like to say I'm not buying extra but I would like to be abel to buy enough. As I posted yesterday, when I got to the checkout at my local market I was told I could only buy 2 meat items. Well I do like to have protein at each evening meal so I stopped at another store on the way home and bought enough meat so that I could have protein at each evening meal. (no limitation at 2nd store)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Al, would you still call it a "scamdemic" if a family member of yours got the virus and either died or possibly died? The word "scam" how you feel now, but.
    Deaths to me aren't a "scam", but a real thing. I seriously don't think that all of the mourning families are thinking of the word "scam" when they lose a family member to this.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I had a very good friend die in a car crash but that didn’t stop me from driving but I am definitely more careful.
    You, on the other hand, have read about or known someone who died in a boating accident but you still refuse to wear a life vest because it doesn’t “look cool”.

But back to the subject at hand. After your miss quote to Yvonne’s post, I started really wondering about how many people are believing the mixed messages that are sent over the airways and are still quickly running to the nearest grocery to grab their “survival food and other stuff” that they actually do not need.
    Freezers are selling like hot cakes and hot cakes aren’t being sold at all because the restaurants are closed. In all, in our county and 2 other surrounding counties we have had 4 deaths attributed to the CV (the last one about 3 weeks ago) but yet, people are still clambering for their survival gear and our governor is still on the fence.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We don't wear vests on the boat, because we are experienced boaters. The vests are right next to us, in the gunwale, if we need them. The only folks that we've ever heard of that died in a boating accident were those that had been drinking and the accident was either at night or in bad weather.

If you and Yvonne don't like the restrictions, don't follow them. Your governor is thinking about the entire population of his state and their health. Like some states, if the mayor of your city thinks differently than the governor does, he can change the restrictions for that area.

IOW, Bobby, not everyone in your area or state is "bold" like you. Nothing wrong with being "bold", but there are those that are scared and they have that right to be that way. Wife and I aren't scared, but we do understand the restrictions that are set and follow them. But, that's us.

14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

My buying has not really changed only the ability to go and shop because the closes big city has been shut down. As far as things like hand sanitizers I buy isopropyl alcohol and H2O2 medical grade by the gallon I could supply the countryside. I normally go shopping once a month so that has hindered me a little. I have a butcher a few doors down and the small supper markets will deliver. In some ways it has been very good because I get away from impulse buying like those chocolate bars and chips at the checkout.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes I would because this is no worse than ordinary flu and yet it's projected as the end-times-is-here. Life is full of challenges and living in fear is not what God wants for me. In addition the CDC(you know the truth tellers) have now reduced Covi19 deaths to 37 thousand from 60 thousand. #SCAMDEMIC

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Yvonne Smith and Martin Alonzo like this.