Buying A New Computer

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I use my desktop daily. My laptop broke a while back and I haven't had the funds to replace it. I am more likely to fix a desktop if something goes wrong, since I've done that in the past, and although I like the portability of a laptop, I'll replace the desktop first, since it's my workhorse. I could just upgrade to Win10 by buying software, but I figure if I'm going to shell out money, I'd just as soon update the whole computer, then I can use this as a backup.

2. Diane Lane

Registered

So, I bit the bullet and purchased a newish computer. It's certified refurbished, and so far I haven't had any problems with it. I'm learning a little more each day. I'm making the jump from Vista to Win10, so there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's nice that everything is now compatible. Before, I was getting lots of messages from websites I visited about my browser being out of date, because Chrome wouldn't go past version 49 for Vista, and some sites weren't functioning properly. @Krissttina Isobe if you're still looking for a newish computer, you might want to consider a refurbished one. I stuck with Dell, and went from an Inspiron to an Optiplex.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since my MacBook has finally become obsolete, I'm looking around or at least thinking about buying another laptop or equivalent. My MacBook still works well, only I can't upgrade the OS any further, so there's no rush. I was thinking of getting a used MacBook newer than the one I have, but I can buy a new Windows machine for less than what I'd pay for a used MacBook worth having. Since I really only need the laptop for work, which is done through a browser, it doesn't have to be a Mac. Best Buy has some Microsoft machines for under $200 new, and some others with Windows 10 for under $250, so I might just go with that. As long as I can get online with it on a browser, that's about all that I will need. I don't work on web sites and do other things while I'm traveling and I'd only need it for hotel rooms and vacations.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Diane Lane

Registered

Ha @Joe Riley That looks like my last computer purchase, versus this recent one. Back then, I had money to burn, and I bought the best I could find and addord, of both desktop and laptop. This time the budget was definitely the top consideration, but I still looked at quality, reputation and durability, of course. So far, I haven't had any issues with this one, and am very pleased with how easy the transition has been.