Building A Fence

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Corie Henson, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

About 3 years ago, we noticed our side fence slanting outward. It is like the leaning tower of Pisa. It is the fence that separates our property from the vacant lot. Since it can damage the front fence and the gate if it crashes so we had to have it repaired.

The engineer we consulted recommended to demolish the fence and build a new one so the foundation will be correct this time. The expenses reached $1,500. Whew, we thought it was easy to have the fence rebuilt. And come to think of it, why do some houses in other villages have no fence?

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

I never liked fences. Unless you are keeping something in...or out, they are unnecessary. Privacy fences are usually ugly. A fence means money and maintenance, and should be avoided. However, I felt it was necessary to put a split rail fence on our bad bend, to serve as a guide rail.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Fences aren't required here. Some people have them, some don't. We have one, but it was here when we bought the house. There is a gate leading to my neighbor's yard for some reason, so I left it that way. We are on very good terms, and my cats spend as much time in his yard as my own when they are outdoors, I think. It's hard to teach boundaries to a cat. Since losing a couple of cats to a fox, I am becoming more concerned about them when they are outside and am either with them when they are out, or I check on them regularly. If I had the money, I think I'd put up a higher fence that would keep my cats in the yard and some of the more dangerous critters out (foxes, coyotes), while still allowing squirrels and chipmunks to come and go. The only danger to them then would be raccoons, since it's nearly impossible to deny access to a raccoon that wants to get somewhere, but they are generally seen only at night.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Living in the city having fences is a sure way to have privacy, keep things in and out, and set boundaries. There is a privacy fence on one side of our house and I'm an so glad now because the owner of the house next door has abandoned it and the backyard is like a miniature forest. If the fence was not there to block the overgrowth it would probably creep over into our backyard. My fear now is how long before it pushes against the fence. Should that happen I have my chainsaw ready.