Buffalo Loose in New York

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Sheldon Scott, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems like we have been reading or watching a lot of stories about escaping animals lately. I know that animals always escape, or wander in where they are not supposed to; but we have just been seeing more than usual. A few weeks ago, they were chasing a couple of llamas through busy city streets, and there was another buffalo that somehow escaped, and they managed to catch that one. Seems like there were also a few cows that were out and not where they were supposed to be, and running down busy streets instead. Now, we have a small herd of bison escaping.
    What next ? And why ? Do the animals know something we don't know ?
    Earlier this spring, there were videos of the elk and bison leaving Yellowstone Park, and now we read that there is an even larger magma chamber than they knew about previously. This one is four times as large as the one above it, and much, much deeper. They say that the threat is no worse than before; which makes sense. The magma chambers have always been there; we just didn't know that they existed before now.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/2...lowstone-supervolcano-threat-level-unchanged/

3. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not understand why they had to shoot these creatures, I get that they are Buffalo, but cows are big to. A farmer will not shoot a cow that escapes unless they are injured. Why could they not use semi's or something to corral them in? I just don't get that at all. After all they ran down the thruway and caused no accidents or anything, they were of a herd mentality and i would think being as such they could have herded them in. My thought is the costs of all that was more then the rancher wanted to pay. The fact this herd swam a crossed the Hudson was pretty amazing to me.

@Yvonne Smith i read about the magma at Yellowstone and thought about that when I saw the article on the Bison later in the day, more likely the Mothman made it to the Tappan Zee bridge . Literally caps were placed on this bridge two days ago, maybe the vibrations scared the herd?