Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a beautiful day here, and the temperature is slightly cooler than it has been, so my mind is on Fall cooking/baking. I found this recipe by Ree Drummond, for Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies, and I happen to have everything I need to make them here at the house. I like her recipes because they're never fussy or difficult, and I tend to have most of the ingredients she uses in my pantry/fridge. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/brown-sugar-oatmeal-cookies.html

Attached Files:

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, brown sugar oatmeal cookies? I'm sure my husband would love that because he is fond of oatmeal cookies for the fact that it is nutritious, a healthy eat. But for me, I'm not a cookie lover anymore like when I was young. Truly, everything changes in time, even the taste and the volume of intake, hahahaaa. By the way, what is the difference of that brown sugar in that oatmeal than using white sugar? Aside from giving it a brown color, is there any other aspect that makes it different for the ordinary oatmeal cookies?

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Brown sugar in oatmeal cookies. Sounds like it oughta be good. Maybe my x wifey will try it and give me some. X-wifey is a mix of Scot and Irish. Everything had oatmeal in it. Cookies, bread, candy, meatloaf, pancakes, she even made oatmeal pie. It looked and tasted like pecan pie.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

I think the point is to give it a slightly more robust flavor. I love brown sugar, and was really happy to find a recipe that called for that, rather than white sugar.

I made the cookies yesterday. As is often the case, I was too impatient to leave the butter sitting out to get soft, so I totally melted it in the microwave. Even though I let it cool off, I realized it would make the dough softer, so figured the cookies would spread out and be flatter and slightly crunchier than taller soft cookies. I think it was a combination of that and the brown sugar that sort of caramelized the edges and made them really really delicious. I can't rave enough about them, and definitely recommend this recipe. They're not overly sweet, at least not in my opinion, but are just right. Before I added the oatmeal/flour mixture into the creamed part of the dough, it looked and smelled like penuche fudge, which I've been craving, so I'll probably be making that soon as well.

Corie Henson and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Looks yummy! I myself like cookies that are flat, crunch & chewy all at once. I buy mostly now and don't bake. I found that when you look for recipes you can find just what kind you're looking for if you have a bit of patience. I buy gluten free and sugar free cookies which is becoming common today. I look for exceptionally low sugar, low to no cholesterol and low to no fat & low to no sodium & trans fat or fat period. When you get older and your doctor says to watch your cholesterol and sugar intake you begin to read a lot of labels. I find that most of the bake stuff is okay. I do love short bread cookies! :D

Ken Anderson and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I like brown sugar oatmeal with raisins. The cookies are really easy to make and do not stay around for long. I even eat them for breakfast with some cheddar cheese....

7. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I love watching Ree Drummond's show on tv,, the Pioneer Woman. I use several of her recipes and these brown sugar oatmeal cookies look so good. I will definitly be making them tomorrow. I looked at the recipe and the picture of the cookies looks just so good,, they have a wonder crispy look to the exterior. The brown sugar tends to give the cookies a bit of a different flavor than white sugar,,, sort of a carmelly tast.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I love the caramel aspect to these brown sugar oatmeal cookies. I like her show and recipes, too. She has a group of 16-minute recipes and i think either has or is working on another group of 10-minute recipes. I want to try her versions of Chinese food when I can afford the ingredients, and have the time to make them.