British Tv

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patsy Faye, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy British television and movies. I just finished binge watching Downton Abbey on Netflix. LOVED IT! I used to watch Dr. Who when Matt Smith was the doctor. Can't get interested in Peter Caripaldi as the new doctor.

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

So, Patsy, I would like to ask are there any American shows that have migrated over to Britain? I don't know of any, but there could be some I guess. Maybe some of our gameshows or something...I thought of another British show popular here..Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? OF course the answer to that for everyone would be "I do, I do.":p:) I hope you have some American exports over there.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Way back there was a show called Benny Hill it was hilarious. When I was growing up there was the Avengers that I love to watch with Patrick Macnee.
    [​IMG]

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to love to watch Keeping Up Appearances. Also Are You Being Served. They are not showing them on any channel I get anymore.

When I lived in Washington state we got some Canadian channels and I watched East Enders.

I also watch Call The Midwife. I like it's human interest even if I have no interest in babies.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Krissttina Isobe , yes, I had forgotten about Benny Hill, he was a funny dirty old man. :)

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:DBut he did it so nicely and with flair! :p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye

Years back, we greatly enjoyed "Are you Being Served". Even I, the Grinch of all anti-T-V things in general, enjoyed it! They no longer seem to run it here.
    Frank

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Didn't watch The Office - can't stand Benny Hill :p

@K E Gordon - Oh yes Karen, 'many' American shows, love the comedy ones and the old western shows

K E Gordon and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Just for curiosity, and because I am like that....:p I looked up American shows that have been made into British ones, and Wiki has
    a complete list. There must be about 50. They include things like Jersey Shore..aka Geordie Shore, Family Feud,another name America's Top Model
    and many others. I figured the transfer across the pond went both ways..you just don't hear about the American TV show exports
    over here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Love 'Keeping up appearances' and Rowan Atkinson 'Bean'. Also liked Red Green, a Canadian show.:)

11. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I still watch the BBC. I watched Downton Abbey, of course. But i still watch reruns of Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances. And at night when i can't sleep i listen to the BBC radio.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

When we were kids we used to get all the American cop shows, and westerns..Bonanza, The Virginian, High Chaparral, little house on the prarie, The Waltons (loved that) .. Starsky & Hutch..Rockford files, Mash, Lou Grant.....etc..

We used to get comedies like I love Lucy...Green acres. bewitched... Beverley Hillbillies, Casey Jones, Happy Days., Cheers... .....and loads more..

We still can get most of those shows (except I love Lucy)..on some deeply hidden channel on Cable or satelite tv...but instead..most of what we get from America these days..are ''reality'' shows like the Kardashians..or Cake boss..or Mob wives..or I'm a 60 year old male giving birth to sextuplets and I didn't know I was pregnant ...that type of high class programming..LOL

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha Holly - They don't make them like they used to :p

Holly Saunders likes this.