British Railways Promotion Posters

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Terry Page, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

The @Tom Locke post on the Hot Seat thread concerning Soviet propaganda posters, reminded me of the series of propaganda style advertising British Railways used both pre and post second world war. They were basically portraying parts of Great Britain as ideal holiday destinations, rivalling those of the continent.
    Despite the usually dire weather we have, Cornwall was billed as the Cornish Riviera. :rolleyes:

The design and mainly art deco style of these posters I really like, despite there being little truth in the slogans or portrayal of some pretty dire places in the UK :eek: ;)

herne-bay-kent.jpg RAIL302.jpg AP1610-brighton-h-gawthorn-railway-travel-poster-1930s.jpg v0_master (2).jpg The-Cornish-Riviera-Express-GWR-Great-Western.jpg weston-super-mare-somerset-british-railways-travel-poster-print-631-p.jpg v0_master (1).jpg a61d51a10877094aed7db01e38ff3020.jpg 6d581b388b3c64e8162b81f52aa355f0.jpg txvintage-1339011062-22687.jpg

2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Fantastic.

Port Sunlight...how many places are named after a make of soap? The place was built by Lever Brothers - now part of Unilever - for their soap factory workers.

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Registered

A few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. Terry Page

Registered

A couple of wartime ones

original.jpg original (1).jpg

5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I love poster art! I'm guessing Marilyn Monroe was the inspiration for the blonde lady in the red bathing suit and the gentleman in the second to the last reminds me of a slimmer Hercule Poirot on the most recent TV episodes.

Karen McKenzie and Terry Page like this.
  6. Terry Page

Registered

I even found a couple of posters for my own county of Worcestershire :)

a1b90dfbe9e74e006ca5c5efa7e2cda1.jpg
    original (2).jpg

7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

how do you pronounce that ???

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

Wustershur Ruby
    If you really want the details watch this ;)

@Ruby Begonia

9. Ruby Begonia

Registered

LOL Terry, I know how to say it, but I got a kick out of Rachel.

10. Terry Page

Registered

lol I see........ the video was funny but a lot of English people pronounce it incorrectly anyway

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you ever watched Antique Roadshow?

These posters are in mint condition and they could be worth money! I've seen some people bring posters in pristine
    condition and they are worth thousands!

12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

The individual rail companies (and the nationalised British Rail) must have produced thousands of these posters. I found many relating to Scotland and the north-east of England. Quite a few of the places on the various posters are no longer accessible by rail, following the huge number of line closures in the 1960s. Among my selection, Fraserburgh is one that is no more; its station was closed in 1965.

aberdeen-bay-scotland.-british-railway-scr-vintage-travel-poster-by-t-train-504-p.jpg berwick-upon-tweed-northumberland.-lner-vintage-travel-poster-by-van-jones.-1941-704-p.jpg durham-castle-cathedral.-lner-vintage-railway-travel-poster-by-sydney-lee.-1935-521-p.jpg durham-pilgrims.-lner-vintage-travel-poster-by-doris-clare-zinkeisen.-1932-988-p.jpg fraserburgh-scotland-lner-vintage-railway-travel-poster-print-scottish-art-954-p.jpg scottish-railway-travel-poster-eastern-scotland-lms-475-p.jpg scottish-railway-travel-poster-print-edinburgh-it-s-quicker-by-rail.-lner-457-p.jpg the-cairngorm-mountains-scottish-railway-travel-poster-by-british-railways-512-p.jpg bridge-of-allan-stirlingshire-scotland-golfing-travel-poster.-the-.jpg

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I was also amused by this one, though I'm going to need to explain. Buckfast Abbey is in Devon, a long way from Scotland. However, for reasons that are mysterious, the fortified wine still produced by the monks of the abbey is a drink very popular among Scotland's - how shall we put this delicately? - ne'er-do-well youth. It's not uncommon to see the odd "Buckie" bottle lying around in the street. Occasionally, you may also find the drinker in a similar position.

1buckfast-abbey-devon.-vintage-gwr-travel-poster-by-claude-buckle-1213-p.jpg

Holly Saunders likes this.