British Government Hospitals To Bar Smokers & Overweight Patients From Surgery, Due To Budgets

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Source: Forbes

This is an old news item from Forbes but I thought it might be of interest, given the direction of healthcare in the United States.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, Bobby and I were talking about this same kind of thing this week. We weren't talking specifically about barring overweight people and smokers; but more about the quality of health care that people receive.
    When I had my heart procedure in 2014, I was in the hospital for several days, and they came in night and day to check all of my "vitals" and just to make sure that I was healing okay. After the procedure I was in the recovery room, and then moved into a regular room once I was recovered enough from the operation.
    At all times, I had ice water, Kleenex in the room, access to a bathroom, and little things like that.
    This time, they sent me for the procedure, and afterwards, put me in the recovery room, and left me there. They were supposed to move me later that evening; but they didn't, and they didn't really even check on me during the night, or ask if I needed anything.
    The recovery room has no bathroom like a regular room does, so it was around 3 AM before a nurse showed up to disconnect me so that I could even toddle down the hall to go to the bathroom. She was actually in there to start getting me ready to go home, because the whole area was closed on weekends, and I had to be out of there and gone before 7 AM.
    So, less than 24 hours after the heart procedure, they sent me home, ready or not. The quality of care was totally inferior to what I received just 3 years ago.
    We had heard that Huntsville Hospital was having financial problems; but this was our first real experience of the changes in policy that they have made here.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.