Brexit, Then

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Awright, now, after following our thread regarding brexit, in a daze most of the time, I have finally succumbed to the temptation to find out what it's all about. The wiki description has left me all the more dazzled.......unable to fathom the supreme importance being allocated to this political upheaval, if that's appropriate. My first thoughts were: somebody's making a lot of dough! A "withdrawal agreement": an agreement to remain a member, although withdrawn (???). Sorta like, we agree to disagree. Almost like a talk forum. Endless new jargon coined:

"Backstop; Blind/Blindfold Brexit; Brexit (like its early variant, Brixit); Brexiteer/Brexiter; Canada plus; Chequers plan; Divorce bill (what she should have done!); Hard and soft Brexit; Meaningful vote; Managed no-deal; Norway model or Norway plus; Remainer."

Now, are y'all "up" on all these high-falutin' contingencies? PM Margaret Thatcher, serving from 1979 to 1990, opposed the proposals urgently, and resigned the month following UK joining the European Exchange rate Mechanism (ERM).

"Always a controversial figure, she is nonetheless viewed favourably in historical rankings of British prime ministers, and her tenure constituted a realignment towards neoliberal policies in the United Kingdom; despite the passage of time, debate over the complicated legacy of Thatcherism persists.

My impression is that this all constitutes the ultimate "can of worms". The British Pound was pegged to the Deutschmark; in Sep 1992 UK and Italy were forced to withdraw from the ERM amidst staggeringly heavy currency speculation. This is known in my "book" as "Messing with other folks' money". Bad, bad policy.

Are y'all "keepin' up"? I'm heading back out to my shop to paint some parts!
    Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I've nothing to add (I think) to what I've already said on the other thread except ………..
    Thatcher (and I weren't a fan) would have done a far better job of Brexit, of that I've no doubt

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

I'm fed up - I want to be a castaway ………………
    [​IMG] wake me up when its all over :rolleyes:

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

This is Thatcher to the EU …………….
    [​IMG]

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

But I fear - its bye bye Brexit :(
    [​IMG]

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Fifty years ago who would have imagined that Britain would be on its knees begging Germany to allow it to govern itself? Amazing! There are worries are now that May will split the Tories and give the government to Corbin, who will, in all likelihood, be truly in collusion with Russia.

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely do not want to discuss this on here.. I'm heart sick and really tired of this absolutely travesty that's happening to this once mighty country.. which has become a laughing stock in Europe because of one ridiculous narcissistic women who should never have been leader in the first place... she only got there by default....who may bring this country to it's knees, something no enemy has ever been able to do with millions of soldiers and artillery ..

Anyway..enough, from me as I said I'm sick of it, I can't even bear to listen to the same old rhetoric on the news every day ....

so by all means Non Brits try to learn more ..but I just can't bring myself to discuss it..nothing personal Frank...

9. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Brilliant says it all.

Same as the attacks on Trumps election and the UK voters who voted OUT

10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

George Orwell wrote some books his probably best known was 1984 which he talked about a future in total control by big brother. One of his other books is called animal farm which he shows how the pigs convinced the other animals they were the intelligent one’s and everything should go to them and they will look after you. They [the pig] were ruthless to have control and would even set up false flags to convince other they needed their help. These books are a look at what is going on right now. The EU we know how to run everything we are not elected but will tell you what to do, believe us we will tell you it is in your best interest. There is a group of people coming along who are thinking for themselves who believe in the phrase, we are sheep no more this could revert to Orwell’s book animal farm where the pigs ran everything. The EU is scared of these liberated group that know for your protection {BS] we will govern the internet so no one can hurt you. The enlighten English who are saying sheep no more are also saying the un-elected pigs no longer run us.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

upload_2019-4-6_13-17-8.jpeg Its good to laugh it away :p If only for a day ……..

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

13. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Johnson the New PM

Hope he can get us out.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

YAY I say …. YAY !
    He better mean what he says :p
    Its gonna be tough though :rolleyes:
    He made a good speech tonight - made me laugh, but now he must be serious - go get 'em !

Beth Gallagher and Tom Galty like this.