Bread Pudding

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love both bread pudding and rice pudding. I was debating between the two, unsure which I wanted to make, when I realized I don't have extra bread on hand. That's an unusual situation, but all it means in this case is that I'll make rice pudding now, and the next time a craving hits, I'll make bread pudding. I equate the two, because they're both delicious and soothing comfort foods to me that remind me of my dad, since he is the one who would make both dishes in our home growing up.

Taste of Home is my go to site for recipes, although I do on occasion use others. Since my dad was the one who made these dishes, I don't have his recipes. I only have some of my mom's recipes, so here's a nice bread pudding recipe I found on Taste of Home that I plan to use next time I make the dish. I wanted to find one that sounded as close to my dad's recipe as possible, and this one seems to fit the bill.

bread pudding raisin.jpg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like rice in any way but I LOVE Bread pudding, it's probably my favorite dessert but I always forget about it.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Only kind of pudding that will ever hit our mouth's is Sugar Free chocolate. Bread pudding was in the movie National Lampoon's Las Vegas Vacation. Randy Quaid played Chevy Chase's cousin. They were both at a very cheap dinner buffet and Randy Quaid said to Chevy "bread pudding tonight and it's extra runny, just the way I like it."

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sometimes I buy the sugar free vanilla pudding that's already made. They have some good flavors, I like the Dulce de Leche one. I don't like chocolate though in pudding or anything. Don't hate it but it's my last choice in desserts.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's been a long time since we last had a pudding at home. In the olden times, when we had leftover bread, we would take the time to make a pudding. First step is the "crumbling" of the bread - that's breaking up into small pieces, the smaller, the better. It would be mixed with condensed milk and evaporated milk plus sugar to taste. Mix well until the bits of bread have converged with the milk. Sometimes we add raisins or cheese or both depending on our whim. That's our home made pudding that I am missing.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never made it but the one's I've eaten in restaurants are a little more complicated than that but I don't know what else they put in it.

They always have a delicious sauce like praline whiskey or some other yummy combination. They've become very popular and quite fancy and I see them a lot on dessert menus.

I've made a breakfast casserole with chunks of bread and milk and eggs and ham or bacon and cheese and anything else you may have and you can make it at night and just put it in the oven in the morning.

It was always an easy breakfast to feed many when I had overnight guests.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:What's the baking specs and bowl baking size for your yummy sounding recipe please?

8. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

I love to eat bread pudding and had my first taste when a little girl from a bakery and loved it. I buy it once in a while and wait for sugar free bread pudding, but I know it's quicker baking my own sugar free bread pudding. Now with soy mild or almond milk it might taste even creamier too.

9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me but it is my husband who bakes the pudding. But let me try to think of how he does it. Okay, here goes the pudding recipe...

Ingredients:
    - About 5 to 6 pieces of bagel-sized bread
    - One 300 ml can of condensed milk
    - One 300 ml can of evaporated milk
    - 1 and 1/2 cup of sugar
    - 2 egg yolk
    - 1 small box of raisins
    - some cheese cubes depending on your taste
    - dab of butter

Procedure:
    Break the leftover bread into small bits. Mix the egg yolk with the condensed and evaporated milk and sugar. Stir until the egg has blended well with the milk and the sugar should be dissolved. Add the broken up bread, stir until the bread fully blends with the mixture. Let it rest for 10 minutes. This will give you time to get your phone and take a picture of what you are doing, hahahaaah.

Okay, continue. Apply butter on the pie pan before putting the pudding mixture. Oh, wait, I forgot the raisins. Add the raisins to the mixture and stir again. Now it is the right time to put the mixture on the pie pan. Bake in 300 degrees for 30 minutes then raise to 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Add the cheese cubes on top the bake again in 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until the pudding turns into golden brown. Take out of the oven and let it cool.

Done.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:)Thanks for the yummy recipe!

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Those variations all sound yummy. I have seen recipes for a breakfast casserole type of dish, and you're right @Chrissy Page, that would definitely be a good dish to feed a crowd. I've never considered mixing condensed milk and cheese @Corie Henson, that might be something to try. I definitely like both of them, but have never thought of combining them. I've seen recipes for chocolate bread pudding, but although I like chocolate pudding, I'm not sure about chocolate bread pudding. I have seen those types of recipes with the butter pecan and praline types of themes, they're definitely a step up from the ones I grew up eating, and I've never tried making a fancy one like that, but I might consider trying to come up with a maple version, since that's one of my favorite flavors.

Corie Henson and Chrissy Cross like this.