Bpg -- Better Portable Graphics

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A new image format may be replacing JPG and GIF images and, although the article doesn't mention them, I would think PNG images as well. A PNG will support transparencies but PNG images are very large and thus prohibitive for those who want fast load times on web sites. I like the crispness of a PNG image, and the fact that I can use a transparent background, but large PNG images can really slow down the speed in which a web page loads.

The article is Why BPG will replace GIFs and not only.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread is for the techie. But let me think. My first brush with the digital image was with the GIF. Using Adobe Photoshop, I could make the image move. That's the advantage of GIF over JPG which is just a plain picture image. But the compact JPG gained popularity because it saves on storage. PNG is not much popular because of its propriety, only selected software can access it. So now JPG images seem to be the standard universal digital image, so to speak.

With that BPG, if the claim is true...
    "This means that BPG not only is way smaller than JPEG but also delivers a better quality. And that’s not all! It also supports animations!"

I guess it will go a long way and probably would eclipse the popularity of the JPG. However, it remains to be seen when it comes to compatibility with image display softwares.