Bought A New Wrist-watch Today!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a new Wrist-Watch today!

It's a TIMEX!

It even has a window that shows the Date!

Hal
    006.JPG

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have lots of watches, some expensive some just cheap fashion style... but the one I wear daily is a waterproof Gold coloured bezel Timex ( I have it on my wrist now)...which cost £30 about 5 or 6 years ago..it stands up to everything ...

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

This is mine just took it off to photograph it..

[​IMG]

Tim Burr and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Its beautiful!

Is L30 like 30 Pounds or about $150?

What's that Logitech thing?

(It looks like you're sitting in the top row of seats in a theater...is that the Royal Albert Hall?)

Hal
    user48_RAH_interior_credit_BBC_Chris_Christodoulou.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Working underhood of cars exposes watches and rings to the rigors of accidental short-circuits caused by them, if they come in contact with battery terminals or any other "hot" connections. I have personally known guys who had fingers amputated after rings had welded themselves to battery terminals. For such reasons, I quit wearing watches and rings, as I am very often puttering underhood.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Thank you.. £30 is 30 pounds sterling :D.. or $39 dollars at the current currency exchange rate . The ''logitech thing'' is my cordless mouse... :D

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

MY husband doesn't wear rings for that very reason...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In Vietnam, for Huey helicopter door gunners and crew chiefs, it was in vogue to wear a length of tail rotor drive chain as a wrist band. Since it was smooth on one side and splined on the other, it was a good weapon in hand to hand and once it was on, it couldn’t come off unless one of the rivets was removed.
    A fellow gunner reacher into one of the electronics hatches and his band shorted between a 110 A.C. inversion system and a 28 volt DC reverse current relay. The results were not good.

My dad’s wedding ring was once grabbed by a large splinter of wood and almost pulled his hand through a planer. Had he not nearly sacrificed his ring finger with the splinter by fiercely pulling against it and wrenching his hand away, his whole hand and arm would have been taken off.

Bottom line, nope, no watches or rings when I’m working with potentially hazardous equipment. A Timex might take a licking but keep in ticking, but my wrist will not.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think I have finally figured it out. You like to play just a tad because I know that you can see the difference between the mouse with a watch sitting next to it and a theater.
    It took me a moment of scratching my head but I did find some humor in it. Thanks for the early morning chuckle! :)

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Hey Holly, just wondering. Are you rushing time or setting it back a bit? It says the date is the 31st so perhaps you just wish to speed through this month and get on with August, or you liked the last couple of weeks so much you chose to relive them. :)

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

Like Frank, I don't wear a watch anymore...haven't since I retired 20 years ago!

I bought the new watch to replace my old Timex, which I've had since the Magna Charta was signed.

I only use my watch for transferring the Exact Time from the Boulder, Colorado facility of the National Bureau of Standards to whatever timepiece in the house requires an exact re-set.

We have 2 "Atomic Clocks" which are synchronized by radio link to the NBS time in Boulder.

I only wear my Solid Gold Nugget Wedding Ring whenever my Wife and I go out.

Hal
    001.JPG

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Just want to add, for reasons that will be left uns
    I hadn't even noticed Bobby, because I don't ever bother looking at the date on my watch, it's too tiny for me to see.. :D

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

There you go @Bobby Cole , I've adjusted the date probably the first time in it's life...

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Here's a better look at the altered date..

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used to have a large collection of watches, mostly expensive to impress clients who were very wealthy men. Now I just wear my Apple Watch. I can configure it to show anything that I can see on my iPhone. My wife no longer had to dig her iPhone out of her pocketbook to answer a phone call or get some information. Mine is setup to show me date, day, time, temperature, current weather, news and stock market. I can change it to about 15 different configurations including Mickey/Minnie Mouse, Toy Story, Chronograph, and all sorts of things like using my photos for the background or showing the earths position around the sun. Now my expensive watches are just in their display case as they can only tell me date and time. Hardly any of the current generation even wears a wrist watch anymore. You can see the time on your smart phone, car, and lots of public places. I want information like a map to show me how to walk to the place I want to go or if it going to rain soon, etc..

The truth of it is that a Timex can keep better time than any mechanical watch like a Rolex or the many other mechanical watches that costs thousands. It can compete with even the expensive quartz watches. Get one that adjusts itself to the atomic clock that the Government uses and it will not be beaten by any other watch. To me, watches were just man jewelry and a status symbol. I much prefer my watch to me a source of information since I rarely need to look at a wristwatch for time and date. Then again not everyone has lots of electronic devices to keep him/her informed about date, time and calendar with things to do and reminders. :)