Border Wall ... Sanctuary Cities

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ina I. Wonder, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Denise Happyfeet

Denise Happyfeet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, true! Was surprised when I heard that about the Wall being passed way back when, heard all of that, and that it's only enforcing laws already made God knows how long ago!!

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember, years ago, when INS done "sweeps" at different companies around Orange County, California. Myself, I never worked for a company where there was a "sweep" done, but my wife did. I worked for mostly electronics/computer companies that hired whites and a few southeast Asians (Vietnamese). The Vietnamese were completely legal and even had electronics degrees. They kept their last name, but changed their first to an American name. There are multiple areas in So. California that have Mexican's working. One area that I worked in, was Santa Ana. I worked for a company that hired a number of Mexican people to run their large injection molding machines. They pretty much kept to themselves during lunch and break-times. Thru these people is how I learned some of my Spanish.

Back to my wife's job, where a "sweep" was done: An INS van pulled up into the parking lot with a few Agents in it. As they walked towards the office, my wife told me that she could hear a runkas going on in the machine and warehouse areas. People were running everywhere. Don't remember how many of them couldn't produce legal docs, but many couldn't and were hauled away in the van. I think the company got a formal letter and fine.

Basically, there are only two jobs that I've seen Mexican's working at here..........landscaping and construction cleanup.

4. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

I'll bet Trump will be all over that one Ken!!

5. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

How about we make those who did all that damage of property, in protest, 220 or so people, and make them work off the money helping build the Wall, LOL!!

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Gotta, just gotta, give you a LIKE for this post. Love it!!

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think Trump is already softening his approach on immigrants. He first say the people who are convicted criminals first also stopping the new ones coming in. He will deport the ones already in the system to be deported. Probably he will go after the ones on welfare. Then it will probably be the ones who are taking jobs that should be done by American citizens. Chrissy I think the guy doing your gardening has lots of time to get the paper work he needs.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I hope he does @Martin Alonzo if he doesn't already have it. If anybody deserves to live here, he certainly does and many like him.

Just deporting the criminals and gang bangers will be a big burden taken off the economy in my opinion. If nothing else, Trump must stick to doing that. The laws are there.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

We are moving in the right direction for a change! We will continue to move and improve as we go! That's good news!

10. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Thanks Cody;) Good start to enforcing laws hey, lol!!

11. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

I can't agree more (I always say that, lol) but yes, we are so moving, we ARE MOVING! At last!! The Trump-train hasn't stopped since it started, runs on pure motivation "fuel" produced in America called "Fed-up Supreme"!

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Denise Happyfeet likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

14. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

This is so true, I know President Trump has every intention of fulfilling our hopes for this country. He is only a man though, and of course he has a lot of opposition that will try to stop him or prevent our hopes, but he means what he says. Big difference from that and "politicians" who just say what they think will get them elected. Again, his record shows when he says he'll do something he does it to the best of his ability.

15. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

I don't know what the true cost is, and I'm not inclined to believe everything the GOP says, but in order to undo what obama let go for too long, bush, and other screw-ups (traitors) we have to get it done. Our country will also be prospering again if we consider the other things going on, not just the building of the wall.

16. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

They pull those number out of their butts. When it's something they're in favor of, they come up with entirely different numbers.

Speaking of numbers...

According to the National Priorities Project, the United States spent almost 3 million dollars an hour in foreign aid in 2016.

Each hour since 2001, we have spent more than eight million dollars on war.

I think we can afford a fence.

17. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm with you 100% on this, Ken. We can, and will afford it.

18. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So true about the numbers, @Ken Anderson ....I don't even pay attention to them anymore cause they do just pull them out of their butts.

19. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

I don't think he's necessarily softening, but you could be right. I'm just thinking that there is a process that has to be considered. What is going to be easiest on all concerned. He's always been for stopping the illegal immigration, and deporting any who are "hiding out" here in the US (hope we can find them). Some hard things have to be done in order to save America (her own people). But I don't think anyone thought all illegals/and criminal illegals could be weeded out and sent on a slow boat to wherever. If adults, whether illegal or legal immigrants have brought in family illegally, it's still breaking the law.

We actually have many (lots) of Americans that are breaking the law as well, by hiding, or trying to hid illegals. So Trump will do his best, I know he will. And he has his advisers to help figure out this pile of crap obama, and others have left for him to deal with. We as citizens need to help in any "legal" way we can too don't forget.

20. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Man is this some more truths! More lies, seems they have one for every occasion.

21. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

These protesters in I think it was Philidelphia? protesting "no wall" and "for" healthcare. What good is healthcare if we don't have security in our Nation.

Btw, how do all these people get the time off to protest, they said they are expecting 10,000 in this particular march. So ARE they employed? Do they want jobs? Maybe just bored. I don't see what good protesting does. There are better ways like using the American Process of getting laws passed or not??

They say they are fighting but how exactly are they fighting by holding up signs few give a darn about. I don't respect anyone that doesn't even know why they are protesting.

22. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Regardless of where the politicians pull their numbers from, my off the cuff workup was within a factor two, remember. Of course, we can "afford" to build such a wall; however taking all the other "affords" that have in one way or another been rationalized away as being needed and necessary, we have mired down into a pit of red ink to the tune of trillions. Has consideratrion been given to the fact that, "what if", the wall is built as proposed, and fails to bring about desired results, or at least simply results in the need for illegals, which they will take advantage of, alternate means of entry into our country?

Aside from the commotion of commentary pro and con on this issue, I've been wondering whose labor force will be used, in view of "cheap Mexican labor", and from which side of the wall will work be carried out to erect it? If cheap builds it from the U.S. side, they will have to be deported upon completion. If built from their side, skulduggary may be employed to allow for weakened points to later allow pass-through. :rolleyes:
    Frank

23. Ken Anderson

Registered

The reason I discount estimates of the cost of the wall is that no details have been put forth as to the construction of the wall, so there can't possibly be any accurate estimates of the cost. Plus, no one has ever said that the wall would cover every foot of our southern border. During the campaign, Trump stated that parts of the border might be better protected using other technologies. As it is, we not only leave the border open but we have been providing water stations to allow them to pass through areas that would otherwise be impassible.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  24. Chrissy Cross

Registered

25. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yes, but it's not a straight-up cost because it will simply open markets to countries that don't have tariffs, as well as to U.S. growers and producers, who will now be able to compete. Plus, Mexico may elect to satisfy its debt in another manner once they become aware that he's serious.

I see it as being similar to closing the unfair advantages that U.S. policy agreements have given to China. Closing this hole so that U.S. manufacturers can compete in a fair marketplace will mean that we won't be able to get the same cheap stuff from China, but it will give other advantages.