Bluebird

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, May 4, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If anyone is interested in watching a movie that was filmed in the small town of Millinocket, Maine, where I live, Bluebird is a pretty interesting movie. It's about a school bus driver who fails to notice a small boy sleeping in the back of the school bus when she parks it at the end of the day, in freezing temperatures.

Portions of the movie are filmed elsewhere in Maine. For example, the mill scenes weren't filmed at the East Millinocket mill, but most of the scenes were filmed here in Millinocket, including my street. Most of the outdoor scenes are in Millinocket but many of the indoor scenes were probably done in a studio somewhere. For example, the hospital scene shows the Millinocket hospital lobby but the other hospital scenes were not from our hospital. The school scene seems to show our Stearns High School but our auditorium is much larger than the one shown. Overall, it's kind of a depressing movie but it's well done and, of course, I enjoy seeing scenes that I am very familiar with, there being only a few thousand people in Millinocket.

It's available on Netflix, and I think the full movie is available on YouTube, although I don't know if that's one that they charge for or not, since I'm watching it on Netflix.

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the heads-up on the movie. I'm always looking for good, interesting movies that are different from the usual cop/lawyer/doctor shows. Was this based on truth - I seem to remember this happening years ago. Or maybe I just saw the trailer for the movie years ago, and it stuck in my head.

Memories are weird things - you're never quite sure whether to trust them or not!! :confused:

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not sure. It was released in 2013, so the movie is not very old. I was up north, where we have land, when the movie was filmed, but they used local people as extras, so there are a few who I recognize, including one whom I know well. He is shown snowblowing his driveway near the end of the movie.