Blind Justice

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Avigail David, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

How did justice come to called, "blind"?

In Greek effigy, justice is represented as wearing blindfold and holding a pair of scales-- symbolizes justice. But why blindfolded? It was so, so she couldn't see the bribery around her and consent into accept them.

The Egyptians adopted the "blind-justice" concept even further. They conducted their trials in a darkened chamber so that the witnesses, the pleader (lawyer) and the prisoner could not be seen by the judges. The Egyptians felt that this would result in an impartial decision-- with no mistaken sympathy-- although this system also have brought in an occasional misplaced prisoner.

In the 21st century, I've understood blind justice differently from its origin.

2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

My understanding is that justice was "blind" in the sense of impartiality and objectivity, the concept that "everybody is equal before the law".

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

That's a nice concept too bad it doesn't always apply. It is interesting to find out though how the whole concept of justice being blind came to be. I had no idea that the Egyptians handled their court cases in such a manner. This is an interesting piece of history that apparently still plays a part in the justice system today. At least its suppose to I am not so sure anymore. Its suppose to be that anyone is innocent till proven guilty but it seems that in soceity its the other way around, we are guilty unless we can prove we are innocent. Even if a jury acquits us of a crime that doesn't means society will, unless there is genuine proof society will still see the individual as guilty regardless of what the a jury of thier piers said when presented with the evidence.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

it was about being blind to age, sex, race, social and economic class, etc.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's also my concept of justice that it is fair regardless of race, creed, and whatever categories we have in life including gender, age, etc. But my perception of justice on earth is a different one. It is my belief that there is no real justice in this life and maybe, just maybe, real justice will be served in the life beyond.

Look here, how many rich and successful people deserve to be rich and successful? Why don't the good become successful all the time? It is because there is no justice and the thing that makes the world go round is LUCK. Sheer luck for a celebrity to be popular, for an athlete to win, for a politician to become president. If you are not lucky in life then you have no life to speak of.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

This is the truest statement I have ever heard.

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

While I'd agree that luck plays a large role, there are many other socio-political and socio-economic factors that need to be taken into account. Privilege also plays a large part; if one is born into the "right" class, you begin life a lot nearer to the top of the greasy pole than those of us at the bottom.

8. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Just thinking about this for a minute...hmm, didn't people get blindfolded when they were hanged? Maybe that is is blind justice.........just guessing, haha

Sheldon Scott likes this.