Black Turnips

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Chrissy Cross, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I was at Safeway this morning and in the veggie dept. I didn't just sweep through and grab what I normally do but looked around.

There sure are a lot of different and neat veggies now...of course they're expensive but since I live alone I don't have to buy a lot.

I saw black turnips and I think they were $4.99 a lb. I didn't buy it because I was thinking it probably tasted like a regular turnip.

Has anybody seen or eaten one? Also, looking them up on google, I put in "black turnip" but got black radishes mixed in with the images and sites. Are they the same?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never seen or heard of black turnips, just purple top and white ones. I have grown Spanish black radishes before. They were almost as hot as horseradish.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg Where they black on the outside? The long radish or the small round type?

The ones at my store looked like this but maybe even bigger....next time I go, I'll ask about them. Don't want something to taste like a radish if it's a turnip. Also, don't want it to be like a regular turnip once I peel the black skin off. There is a big price difference!

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

They looked a lot like the picture. Black on the outside, white inside.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Interesting...because a radish and a turnip taste different. I bet it will be white on the inside. I don't get the point, I'll have to research it. Maybe more nutritious? Maybe just a scam to get more money for a turnip.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never seen nor eaten anything like this black turnip. My Mother who is 90 has never heard of them too. Good idea to ask the produce dept. people at Safeway about it. Hmm, if it's something like beets than it's good for you and you can cat the tops which is high is vitamin C. But at 4.99 a pound, well I don't know about buying it & it looks heavy too, so I'd hesitate about buying it anyway.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will ask next time I go...which will be today or tomorrow.

8. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I know I am running away from the black turnips, but when I went shopping I noticed cauliflower that were different colours..
    C'mon... Coloured cauliflowers ???? Green, red, and dark yellow almost orange....
    Cauliflower is white and that's it !!!
    I wonder if the coloured ones taste different.....

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've seen the orange and purple cauliflower....tried the orange but don't remember it tasting different.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd like to know if these are different versions of what we're used to, that are being imported from elsewhere because of their increased nutrition and also novelty. I guess some people would want the various new colors on their table to spice things up, or at the holidays, but if they're not more nutritious, I don't really see the point, especially if the price is much higher. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in eating black vegetables. I don't recall seeing anything like this where I shop, but I'll have to pay more attention next time, and see if I've just missed them in my haste.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I usually don't even look in that section of veggies, it's all the expensive different ones.

I'm sure the white on the inside so unless you leave the skin on which didn't look appetizing, there isn't much difference unless the nutrition was better. Sure cost more. That one I saw was at least a lb if not more.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I looked up black turnip and a few sites/posts did come up, although black radishes were also mentioned a lot, and I saw one post stating that the black radishes (it mentioned seeds from the Oslo area) were the size of turnips. I don't know if they're related or not. I thought some quick explanation of one or both would pop up, but it was mostly recipes. I certainly wouldn't spend $4.99 to try it, especially if the inside was the same, and the skin color was a turn off. I do love colorful bell peppers, but I don't think I'd try brightly colored cauliflower, either.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I googled yesterday and couldn't get a straight answer. Does it taste like a radish or a turnip?

I'm pretty sure the guy in produce doesn't know either. I asked a question once about something else and he looked at me like I was asking him something difficult. It wasn't, I just can't remember the question. :)

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well I went to Safeway again today. I think they are reading my posts, because today it was called Melissa's black radish!

I'm 100% sure that's not what it was called yesterday.

Sheldon Scott and Shirley Martin like this.