Big Cat Sounds

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I think we've probably all heard lion calls and perhaps those of tigers, on television shows and in the movies, at zoos, etc., but this is an interesting video of the animals and their sounds. I ran across a clip of an ocelot's sound the other day, and I agree, it definitely sounds the same as zombie sounds in movies. I wonder if that's where they actually got the sound? I love looking at the cats, but the ocelot enclosure doesn't seem all that large :(.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh ! Bit upsetting to see him, so restless
    Me heart aches for him - wish I could set him free :(

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Does sound strange, is the the sound they usually make? I know what a lion sounds like but can't think of what an ocelot sounds like.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Not heard the cry of an Ocelot either - maybe this is a distressed cry, not the usual .............
    A Cheetah sounds like a cheep of a birdie, did you know that ..............?:)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I didn't know that but thank you...if I'm in the jungle and I hear cheeping...I'll worry.:)

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, since we'd never be able to pay to fly to Africa, go on a safari and see these Big Cats in their natural habitats, seeing them at the zoo or in a Big Cat Sanctuary, is fine with us.
    In fact, during my wife's next vacation, we are going to our local zoo and a Big Cat Sanctuary.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am ignorant of an Ocelot although this is not the first time I have seen it. And since it belongs to the cat family, there is logic to that sound it can make. But it's just like hearing a little boy talking with the voice of a big man, huh.

@Cody Fousnaugh, we were in a Safari Zoo last March when we were in Bangkok. It was not that big but the animals were a lot, all loose including the lion and tiger although they are in a fenced area so they do not harm the other animals. The herd of giraffe was amazing to see, I have counted more than a hundred of the. The lion seemed to be hiding but we got a good sight of the tiger coming out of the water, a small pond for their bathing needs. By the way, we were inside a van with the tour guide.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Use to be a place like this in So. California. It was called Lion Country Safari. Each animal breed had it's own fenced-in area. A person would drive their vehicle down a designated road, with windows up and A/C on. Very interesting place, but Commercial development took over and it was shut down.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't watch zombie movies ever, so I wouldn't know about the sounds similarity. I like the different sounds that nature makes though for they do communicate though we may not understand it. Just good to know when they call out danger is near sounds, which I don't know of. By observing birds I notice that birds have different sounds and at certain sounds they all fly away to higher ground. Just got to memorize it so I can avoid dangers.

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

I like how they have alert type sounds that notify those in the area of predators and other threats. It took me quite a while to discern what was making the 'alarm' type of sound I kept hearing out back. The guy next door had some sort of bird in a cage in his yard, and I thought it was that, but it turned out to be the squirrels. I've seen other creatures doing something similar on nature shows. The blue jays can get pretty loud with their squawking, so I always look out when I hear them. By the way, I always have a hard time spelling squawking these days for some reason. It gets me every time.

I've never been to a big cat rescue/sanctuary, but would love to visit one, one of these days. I don't know what an ocelot in the wild sounds like. If I find out, I'll post it here. There are some south of here, down in the Rio Grande Valley. I love the sound the mother cheetahs make to call their babies, it's a cute sound.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been to some of those Drive through Safari places. They are really pretty cool. I am sure they are as close as most of us will get to being on safari. I think they are probably wild enough for me, not that I would turn down a chance to go on an African safari, it would be amazing for sure. I just think it would be something so dramatic, and just a thrill to see animals in their native environment.

12. Diane Lane

Registered

There's one (drive through safari place) nearby, but I've never been. I always meant to when I had a decent vehicle and the funds, but back then, I didn't have the time. Now it's reversed, but I'm still hoping to go at some point. I don't mind them in the sanctuaries, but hate seeing them in small cages/enclosures. I think they need space to run and their surroundings should resemble the type of place they'd live in out in their natural environment.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Idaho, we had cougars (mountain lions) in the area, and would sometimes hear them at night, screaming. The first time I reemember hearing one, I thought it was a human out in the woods because the sound was very much like a person out there screaming.
    This was back when the kids were little, and we all went outside and stood and listened , trying to decide what was making the noise. Finally, we could tell that it sounded like it was coming from high up in a tree, and decided that it must be a cougar screaming.
    It is a very scary sound to hear .
    And just as worrisome, is going outside and seeing huge pawprints in the snow outside of your front door and knowing that the cougar was that close during the night !

Patsy Faye likes this.