Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jeff Tracy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't watch it or any of those shows that use canned laughter and bring it up every time someone farts!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't even notice, I'm good at tuning things out.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am very surprised that this series has continued as long as it has. While I liked it, I figured it would attract more of a niche audience.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess it has universal appeal but I don't know why. Even when some of the actors/actresses came out against Trump in tweets I still love them.

Guess, just like my family, which is a mixture of liberal and conservative I love them anyway.

Also, I'm more in the Golden Girls generation but this still appeals to me.

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm here to tell you all that I watched just one episode of that turkey, because I was turned off by the effeminate mannerisms of the lead character.

The show's title interested me however, as I'm an amateur Astronomer and I'm into Math and Physics.

Hal

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How did you know about the effeminate mannerism if you never watched it? The effeminate OCD nature of the character of Sheldon was what made the series funny. He was the only effeminate male in the show. I didn't watch it often, but I enjoyed how the PhD. characters looked down on the mere Master's level engineer....:)

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner ..well your loss Hal :p...the show was great and right up there with Mash an a few other long running programs. One episode not enough for mw to make decision on.

Tom Galty and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

One episode was enough for me, Gloria...it was my loss in your opinion!:confused:

But M*A*S*H was great...every episode!:D

I had a special feeling for that show because I spent a year in South Korea while in the Army. (1961-62)

Harold

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've missed more episodes than I've seen, given that I don't have network television, but one day I'll binge watch them from one streaming network or another. It was a good show, but not one that required a great deal of thinking, as the title might suggest.

10. Ann Leonard

Ann Leonard Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I stopped watching BBT when I found out what a hater the creator, Chuck Lorre is:

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #598

"God, (I call you that even though I suspect thou art well beyond names and words and might actually be some sort of ineffable quantum situation), I humbly beseech thee to make thy presence known on November 6th. Demonstrate your omnipotence through us as we make ink marks on little circles in curtained booths. Of course if you, in your divine wisdom, believe a fascist, hate-filled, fear-mongering, demagogic, truth-shattering, autocratic golf cheater is what we need right now, then, you know, thy will be done. But if thou art inclined to more freedom, more love, more compassion, and just more of the good stuff thou hath been promoting in our hearts or our parietal lobes - either one, doesn’t really matter - I submissively ask that thy encourage voter turnout in that general direction. Also God, please help Bob Mueller. Guide him and make him strong, brave, wise and true. And yes, I know there must be thousands of guys named Bob Mueller, so why not help them all, just to be on the safe side. Amen. Oh, almost forgot, remind those who collaborate with the darkness that thou art the light, and the light is not above whipping out a little Old Testament wrath. Amen again."

<< >>
    1st Aired: 25 Oct 2018

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ann Leonard ...well lucky for me I don't care or worry about that type of thing.
    Anything and everything is questionable especially in the entertainment field.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife watched whenever possible, even though it interfered often with our common liking of Wheel of Fortune. The times when she switched back and forth failed to explain, to me, the reasoning behind her interest in it.

I would not waste my time watching it, if it were the only thing available. One of my "turn-offs" regarding such shows is the "canned-laughter" of artificial audience mirth, a time-proven means of securing mindless attention by the viewer.

Frank

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

"The Big Bang Theory" - Never watched even one show, but it's been on for many years and advertised so I'm familiar with some of the characters.

I really like "Young Sheldon," in spite of the main character of TBBT narrating. I don't like his voice. It doesn't sound effeminate to me, just grating.

OT Young Sheldon, the parents, grandmother and siblings are all funny. Most of the writing is good. Didn't like the final episode.

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I never noticed the canned laughter on that show until just recently. I have a TV in the next room that stays on most of the evening, and occasionally they show marathon reruns of The Big Bang. The canned laughter in that show is exactly the same all the time.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.