Bicycle Riding/touring

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Denise Evans, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, there is danger even stepping out our door, or even in our homes, but for me, I need something to sink my teeth into. I'm looking forward to this because it's up my alley in so many ways. I realized this is something I can afford to do, and meet more people, I hope. I want to do what I can, while I can still do it. I'm limited by finances, so the best way I can see more of America is on a bicycle. I am smart, so I will be looking out for cars, since I know many don't look out for bikes. I also know there are some stupid bicyclers out there that assume a car is going to give them space. Not me, I don't do that when I'm walking either, assume.

Glad you have things you and your wife can both enjoy, that's the main thing right;)

Tim Burr and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL Ken, yeah, I've heard it takes at least a week, or longer, depending, for you to get used to those seats. I'm going to try though.

That is so cool about your bro;) My uncle I mentioned, did some great trips too. One day at a time, I don't want to take on too much too fast, and won't:) I'm interested how often these "road-riders" stop, how they fuel their bodies sufficiently, all those thing;) Just walking 16-24 miles a week I found my self having to really pump the food in. I got clear down to 118 just walking. Biking burns just a little more, going the same distance I see, but long trips, omg, I need to learn a lot!!

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

These couple that go tandem are kind of cool, but even if I had a mate, I prefer my own bike. But to each his own, long as people are enjoying what they are doing. I can only imagine how much I would see that I've never seen driving up the coast. Our Lost Coast just South of here would be sort of neat with a group, but man is that desolate, beautiful, but really cutoff from civilization. Hard to believe in California. Course I don't know a lot about the State. I'm truly an Oregonian, just living here for now:)

The main thing for me is I am alone, no family I visit, no one close, not even a pet;) I could take a little dog with me though on a bike;)

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As for camping.........those days are gone! When we lived in Colorado, we went on a fishing get-together at a local lake with our bowrider boat. My wife had the camping gear (tent, sleeping bags, propane stove, etc). After just one night, we decided that the only camping we'd ever do again would be either in a nice motel or motorhome. No more outdoor sleeping! Had a garage sale and sold all of the camping gear.

Like I always say, some things in life, "age" and "physical condition" rules. That's why so many Seniors own motorhomes.

Joe Riley and Denise Evans like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, we all should make the best of what "we can" do, and not regret what we can't;) My biggest problem is regretting what I haven't done, or I did it wrong. I make myself miserable. I've been really "picked up" by planning to try out biking. I may fail, but I'm going to try. I think it's true that my only failures are what I didn't try, I mean good things I didn't try that is, LOL! I never tried "pole dancing" and I am forever grateful for that, LOL!!

Joe Riley and Tim Burr like this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm headed down to look at some bikes, may get a couple snapshots using my phone, then show you guys what we've got in-store;) I'll need a helmet, buying that same day as bike. I have gloves, which I may or may not need. Just gonna wear my jeans with a clip, no biggies on clothing, yet;) Unless I get really into it. I'll be saving my pennies just in case though;)

Anything you want to add is so welcome;) Glad to know folks right here know some things about bicycle touring!! Woohoo;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Live in a big city, about 6 miles from home to work. I usually ride it at least 8 times a month.
    Because of the traffic, use a non-direct route using parks and my favorite is going by the Parthenon, here in Nashville, in the morning.
    Haven't done any big rides in years, just never found the time with family, work and Scouts.

[​IMG]

Joe Riley and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Post those pics, glad to help if I can.

9. Denise Evans

Registered

One question as well Tim, before I head out for a bit. I'll put a link here too, of some bikes at Walmart. I don't see any under 100 bucks that have the low, curved handle bars I see on most road bikes. Do you think those are best to train on, get used to? I wonder what is going to be best for me. I don't have a bad back, but I have some neck issues, but only hurts if I look down for a long time, I mean with no support, like I have here in my recliner.

I was wondering why they buy those the most, or seems like it? Is it speed effective, leaning your back forward doesn't makes you more stream-line, I guess that's the word, maybe aero dynamic, LOL!! Ttyl!!

Wow Nashville, that just sounds cool to live down there;) Course I am not much for the big cities, avoid them whenever I can;)

10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Hybrid bikes are very popular, ( ones with upright bars ) and I prefer them now. More vision and the shifter and brakes are right there.
    Both upright and drop bars are good, just more of a learning curve with drop bars, IMHO. Saw that my Costco had a couple of nice bikes with
    good equipment. I am looking to get another bike with disc brakes and think I found a reasonably priced one to fit my needs. It's from a direct
    site and you have to set it up.

[​IMG]

11. Denise Evans

Registered

I actually just saw some like this @Tim Burr !! I didn't know they were called hybrid, but it makes sense now. They were within my price range too. I think this one has the skinny tires?? I hope? That's what I want, and think one like the cheaper ones I saw will be great for a beginner like me:) These were at Walmart, so not good brands like this, but still, that's all I need to start. I'll show you a pic of the two I just looked at:

just 1.jpeg just 2 Schwinn.jpeg

12. Denise Evans

Registered

These above were just 129.oo and they have helmets under 20 bucks. Lots of other gear but not looking for anything else except some water-shedding clothing, but that is super expensive, so just light-as-I-can-get rain pants. I have a rain jacket, way light weight that will handle any rain that comes down around here;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Idaho, I used to have a plain lady's 3-speed bike and I rode it every day when the weather was good. After the a-fib got so bad, I couldn't breathe enough to ride the bike any more, and it had to be left behind when we moved, in any case.
    I thought that I could ride one of the 3-wheelers after I had the heart operation, and bought one on payments from the pawn shop.
    My knees had gotten way too bad and inflexible for me to ride it. I almost dumped it on myself when I tried.
    I didn't realize that the back wheels would catch me in the back of my leg, and then I also hurt the knee that was trying to bend and couldn't.
    Plus, a car came speeding down the road, so I was trying to hurry with all of that happening, to get out of her road, turned the steering towards the edge of the curb, and between all of that...... I just about fell off and dumped the bike on top of me !
    Fortunately, Bobby was right there and he rescued me before I tipped the bike over.
    So, I put it on Craigslist and sold it. Now, I am working on doing the knee-bending exercises, so maybe I can actually ride a bike again once my knees work better.
    What I want is one of those beach cruiser bikes. Even though I don't think that I would ever be able to go on one of the expeditions like you are talking about, @Denise Happyfeet , I really would enjoy just being able to ride a bike up and down the streets right here at home.
    image.jpeg

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Both bikes are very simular and both are Men's bikes. Both are 26" frames.
    Did you get a chance to sit and check clearance?
    The Hyper has a fixed front fork and the Schwinn has a suspension fork and seat.
    I am not a fan of suspension gear, but that is a personal choice.
    The Schwinn does have a lifetime warranty.
    They sell a Hyper Women's model at the same price point.

Denise Evans and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

I would probably be happy just riding around the area, but I am hoping to go further eventually. I just really want to do way more things with my life. So I look for the most inexpensive way to do the most active things.

I am sorry to hear of all you trouble, but so glad to hear you are working on some things that might allow you to enjoy bike-riding again Yvonne, denise

Yvonne Smith likes this.