Bible Study/religion In The Workplace?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife was part of a Bible Study at a job she use to have. The group consisted of five ladies and was approved by the company, as long as they gathered during lunch and separate from those employee's eating lunch in the cafeteria. My wife did tell me that some of the employee's that were eating would look over at the group sometimes, because they seen the ladies holding bibles. Wife also stated that many employee's would, in some respect or another, shun the ladies that were in this group.

I also remember a Supervisor, where I use to work at, who tried to start up a Bible Study at work. She had a couple of people attend once during lunch, but then she decided not to proceed with having it anymore. "Just not enough interest" she told me. I also remember that the Warehouse Clerk, same company, would have a little Bible Study with the UPS man during his lunch hour. After being talked to by our Supervisor/Director, they decided to stop that as well.

Personally, I don't think the workplace is the appropriate place to discuss religious things and most companies agree with that and won't allow an employee to start a Bible Study. Also, like seeing an employee praying in the lunch room or cafeteria before they eat. Shoot, there are those that get the "looks" when saying a pray at a restaurant. A lot of folks can always say "I don't care what others think of me or what I'm doing", but I guess I do care. Discussing politics at work can become a heated conversation as well.

What do you think?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Hummmmm, no comments. Guess everyone agrees that religion should be kept out of the workplace, right? Of course, if that workplace is a church or Christian Book Store, that's totally different.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just saw this post, @Cody Fousnaugh. For some reason some posts just get missed.

But I do agree with you that it's probably not a good idea to have bible study groups at work. Things like that don't bother me as long as nobody is disrupting my lunch but I'm easy going.

You also then run into the problem of letting other groups having the right to have a study group in whatever religion they believe in.

Terry Page and Sheldon Scott like this.