Being Happy Doesn't Make You Live Longer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Terry Page, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I came across this article while browsing the Guardian this morning,

Happiness does not make you live longer and stress-related misery will not shorten your life, according to a major new study.

Many people believe that unhappiness, caused by working conditions, stressful relationships or general dissatisfaction with one’s lot, is likely to be life-shortening. Some studies have in the past appeared to support that theory. But, according to Oxford University researchers, they have generally not allowed for the unhappiness caused by poor health.

I always believed stress and unhappiness did affect your health in a negative way, which would subsequently shorten your life, what are your thoughts?

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmmmm I haven't got any statistics to back it up, but on reflection speaking personally whenever I've been at most stressful periods of my life...or unhappiest I do seem to get hit by the big sickness stick!!

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, life is to be enjoyed and being happy keeps the doctor away. Especially when I am stressed out from work, I would try to find a little happiness when I come home and my dogs would never fail to uplift my spirits. So I guess when you are happy and you know it then clap your hands to drive away the ailments and diseases.

Lara Moss and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

This meme says it all for me.

12049626_869804609762920_3542106587259947616_n.jpg

5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

My uncle said to love my father very much, but during all those years my dad was sick, my uncle did nothing to show off his love.

When my dad passed away, my uncle's enthusiasm began to dim, and it was enough looking through his eyes to understand his immense sadness.

Having seven children on his own, none of them was supportive but used to treat him in a very insulting manner that only contributed to make his sadness bigger that any of us could think.

One year later after my father's death, my uncle passed while sleeping victim of a heart attack, despite he never suffered from coronary problems.

Doctor said sadness killed him.

6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that report needs an itty bitty more research. I think there are awful lot of elderly people around that disprove that idea. I'm with Holly on this, when I'm sad or worried that old ugly sick stick finds me no matter where I am.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know about the article, Terry but stress is a major factor in many illnesses, especially the autoimmune ones.

Stress is unavoidable though in our modern way of life, especially for those that still have responsibilities.

I don't think I agree with the article and still believe stress can shorten your life.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Beware of "Major new Studies"!;)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Happiness might not make you live longer but unhappiness will make it seem like a LOT longer.

11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Shirley, sadness seems to last for long periods, while happiness seems so fleeting.

Martin Alonzo and Terry Page like this.
  12. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Because sadness is more common and long lasting in our lives than happiness, don't you feel like something is wrong when you are happy?

Happens to me, whenever I feel really happy everything is brighter, cheerful, extraordinary, but... I feel this is not how life usually goes on and a fear to get that happy moment over begins to escalate :rolleyes:

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that our attitude plays an important part in how happy we are, how much we enjoy life, and even in how long (and how healthy) we are able to live.
    It has been shown that worry can cause enough stress to produce physical illness, and it certainly can stop us from enjoying the good parts of life.
    No matter what is happening in our life, nothing is ever all good , or all bad. We see what we look for. The Bible says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust.
    What does that mean ? Is the rain a good thing or a bad thing ?
    Personally, I believe that it all depends on how you look at the rain. If you are a farmer with a crop in the field that needs watered, you are probably happy that it is raining. On the other hand, If you are trying to bale your hay before it gets wet, then the rain is not such a good thing.

I remember thinking about the problem that there seemed to be more unhappiness in my life than happiness. Since I wanted more happiness, I made a decision that what ever bits of happiness came along, I would watch for it and enjoy it as best as I could.
    There are always good things happening if we watch for those, but when we focus on the sorrows of life, we miss the butterfly flittering past.

One of my favorite quotes is by Kahlil Gibran , and it is this one:
    "Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens."

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that happiness breeds more happiness and sadness breeds more sadness. The most unhappy people I know are always expecting bad things to happen to them. And it does.

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I agree Yvonne and Shirley, we create our experience of life I feel by how we judge what is happening, its not always easy when in the middle of some seemingly disastrous situation, but my experience is if you let it be, all becomes balanced again.
    I love Kahil Gibran's wisdom, it reaches through the ages in my opinion.