Being Genuine Online and Truthful On the Internet

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am honest and truthful on the net, You can ask me anything and I will reply truthfully.

Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I could well have written that Lois word for word.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Lon Tanner and Lois Winters like this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve been a member here since 2015 I believe ..I’ve never hid who I’m where I live, or posted photos of myself when I was young then claimed it was me NOW in the photos.
    I usually post an avatar of what I like ..flowers ..animals ..or my current one is a hug for all who are felling the effects of the current predicament we all find our selfs in .

I’m wary of posting any personal to close to home info as I stupidly did once when we had our home on the market
    I posted what the real estate agent had said about our home ..and a person copied that info and put it to google which bought up my home location / address with photos ..yes once you list a hime for sale it’s there for the world to see however I was most annoyed a member of a forum would do that

4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

It would be way to hard to keep track of a character and not trip up over time.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

True, but you have to pay attention to catch the mistakes. Most people don't pay that much attention.

6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

If I wanted to be someone else, I'd have taken up acting.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I get that sometimes too. I am not as accomplished as you were in any one thing but I have done a lot of things and, on Facebook, in particular, that seems to serve as a red flag. When I talk about making paper bags for a living, or teaching college, or working as a youth minister, or doing web design and SEO, some idiot will say something like, "Make up your mind. I thought you were a paramedic," as if they had caught me in a lie.

I even had someone do that in a cat group on Facebook, when I mentioned that I had recently lost a cat who was 28 years old. She said, "I'm going to have to call you on that one. I don't believe you," as if I care whether someone I don't know on a Facebook cat group believes me about the age of a dead cat. Well, I guess I do care because it's annoying. Why would I lie about the age of my cat?

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never been one to share a lot of personal information on the internet. I prefer to use a generic avatar because I don't particularly like looking at my own picture every time I post. My opinions and any personal experiences I share are true; I don't have the energy to keep up with a pack of lies.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never used my real name nor have a I ever shared a photo of myself or anyone in my family other than a pet. I have good reasons for that and it's simple .. my safety. I am not obligated to give personal information to anyone and will not do that .. again .. for my safety.

Because I refuse to share my real name, real face or real location does not put me in the category of a scammer, user or anything along those lines.

With that being said .. I am always honest and genuine in my conversations. If there is something I am uncomfortable discussing or sharing .. I simply keep moving to another topic.

Things aren't always as simple in everyone's lives as they may be in yours.

Beth Gallagher and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I tend to overshare. If a person was really obsessed with me, they could follow my posts over a long period of time and probably figure who I am. People tend to drop insignificant nuggets of information, each one being useless,but amalgamated they will disclose significant information.

Lois Winters and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I do too. But I think it would be hard work trying to be secretive. You'd have to remember what you did and didn't say. Almost as difficult as just making stuff up and keeping it all straight. :p

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm honestly myself, and no one else.
    In fact, I've left 2 or 3 forums because I've given my beliefs truthfully, mainly about the bible, and some people, for unknown reasons, don't like that.

Yvonne Smith likes this.