Beggars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Corie Henson, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What is your take on beggars? I used to be compassionate with beggars. When I was a student, I would save some coins so I could give alms to the beggars in the churchyard or in the street corner. When I got a job, the more I would give to them. However, my husband had influenced me to change my stance on the issue.

He had seen a documentary program in the largest tv network where a blind beggar was interviewed. He was earning 400 pesos in one day so he could afford to buy cigarettes and even alcoholic drinks. He was invited by the social welfare department to join the handicraft program but he would earn only 50 pesos in a day's work. And to think that my husband was only earning half of that 400 per day, huh.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess beggars CAN be choosy!? We can't judge them all as fakers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At one time, I was homeless, but never done any begging. I lived in a small pickup truck in the parking lot of a church, along with a number of other homeless folks staying at the church. In between a small UI check every two weeks and the church helping me out with some food, I was ok and got back on my feet. After talking to some other homeless folks some, now I did say the word "some" want to be homeless and be "beggars".

We have donated food, during the holidays, to church organizations that give the food to "people in need", but as far as outright giving money to a beggar............nope, isn't going to happen! When asked for money by them, I simply say "sorry, don't have it" and then try to get away from that person fast.

Corie Henson and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do not give money to beggers either, but when they say they want money for food, I will go to the closest drive-through fast food place, and get them something to eat.
    You never know who is truly in need, and who is just scamming people for money. Some of these people do make a living doing this, and there are stories of some of the sign-holding "beggars" going home in a nice car after sitting out there all day and collecting money from people.
    I have seen comments on Facebook warning other people in the area about someone who was doing this kind of a scam.
    Several times, I have offered to take someone to the local Christian rescue mission, and they always refuse to go there. That pretty much shows that they are not as desperate as the pretend to be, or they would be glad to have some food and a place to sleep.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

A case in point - in the junction of a major thoroughfare, there are 3 pre-school children who are begging from the vehicles on a traffic stop. I was just observing because I already know their style. When done with begging from about 5 vehicles, the children would go to the side of the street. Gee, there under a bush was the mother. She was like a manager with her staff reporting to her and giving her the collection.

That scheme was already uncovered by media but the Department of Social Welfare here doesn't seem to know what to do. The streets of Metro Manila is one big place to earn money with the vendors and beggars almost everywhere.

6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the thing that I have discovered is that those who are truly the ones in need aren't the ones out there begging for money. They are the ones who try to find ways to earn money or try to make due with what they have. That's not to say that I haven't given money to those who have asked for it on occasion. Sometimes they are asking for money to get on a bus and I would give it to them or money to get something to eat and again I will give it to them. True I have no way of knowing if they really use the money for these purposes but I like to think they will.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well if I can I'd be compassionate with people. Unfortunately I always don't have cash on hand. I'd leave homeless people newspapers at the bus stops when there was their newspapers to give. I'd leave some food sometimes too. I'd share things like the Senior Fair coming to our Neal Blaisdell Arena that's free and they give a lot of free things at the Senior Fair. Many people who are in need don't know about all the help they can get. I don't know why the fellow doesn't do both to get shelter from the outside. Right now it's raining so it's cold so many would do better I believe if they were in some kind of shelter though I don't know how they'd be able to get to the shelter. Some lost everything due to weather disasters too so I wouldn't judge. Yesterday I saw a gentleman sitting at the bus stop with wounds on his leg that attracted flies and another gentleman trying to help by praying for him and he left his umbrella for him too. It's a sad situation for the homeless whatever their reasons are. Locally Congress changed welfare laws so many loose their welfare status and became homeless, sad but true. It is a pitiful situation. Interestingly enough the State of Utah has solved their homeless situation. Let's hope one day there will be no such thing as homeless or poverty at all worldwide.

8. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

When you see people in need you want to help that is only natural. You also must be aware that there are people that prey on other peoples kindness. I have learned that when you give to another person once the money is out of your hands what they do with it is not your concern. If you want to give, give and not be concerned about what the person does with it. If you don't want to give don't give.

9. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Sad bad true, most beggars may have more money than you have and, even worst, there are network of beggars to make the most of compassionate people down the streets.

I was the kind of person who always liked to give them a coin when I was young too, and probably time when they were not get organized in "Beggar Unions," networks and syndicates.

Today I don't give a dime to any beggar, pro-children charities, or similar approved-robbers wanting easy money.

However, I am not hesitate to help people in real need. Thankfully I have developed a sixth sense on finding to whom really help.

10. Magalina Lilis

Magalina Lilis Veteran Member
    Registered

Totally agree.

If I feel so inclined and have some cash on me, I will "give to a beggar". It is not for me to judge whether they need the money for food or something else. Nor whether they should be working instead of standing on the street corner.

Now, would I stand on the street corner begging for money is another matter. We all have to answer to our own individual moral values. Therefore, I do not judge others who choose not give any money to beggars. It is a personal choice.

Brittany Houser likes this.