Beer Taken Off Shelves Because Of Name

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Allie Seay, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Jesus is my lord and savior, no doubt; but I can't really say the name of this beer is so offensive to me that I think it should be removed from the shelves. People are so sensitive these days about silly things and not half so sensitive about things they really ought to care about. I certainly wouldn't have chosen to name a beer Sweet Baby Jesus, but at least it's an unusual beer. Chocolate and peanut butter? Jesus would probably laugh. And, of course, he could always turn it into wine if he wanted to.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/06/...rocery-store-shelves-after-customers-complain

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Jesus is a common name here and I don't see anything wrong with the name of that beer unless a customary photo of the Jesus Christ was also used. And what is the problem of the protesters, are they that religious? Again, Jesus is a common name for a male so it's just like saying Sweet John's Beer or Jake's or any name for that matter.

Just an anecdote. When my brother, whose name is Jesus, got a job as a taxi driver, the name of the taxi was Jesus On Board. It's so appropriate.

3. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

No, I don't see any particular problem with it either. And I realize that Jesus is a common name in other places as it also was a common name when Jesus was in the world. Definitely not a common name in the US, though, other than among latinos. You know, I'm not sure about Europe, but in the US whites would definitely not name their child Jesus. Out of respect, I suppose. Blacks either, I'm thinking. I guess it is an effort to keep the name holy? Or maybe it is thought to be presumptuous?

I don't know.

What I'm getting at is that other people look at it differently and because they love Jesus so much they would not think twice about giving their child his name while here we dare not do it and there is really no reason not to. At least no reasons which are not more or less self imposed within the ethnic group.

4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess some can be sensitve on certain subjects. Personally I don't find anything offensive about it. Like you said Jesus might have found the humor in this. As for the name Jesus give the letter J more of an h sound and you have common name in the Latino community. I suppose before long this will be considered offensive as well which its not, I have to agree people can be a bit too sensitive these days.

Allie Seay likes this.