Been To Mexico?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Andie Nuckels, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband and I have been going to Mexico for vacation for the past 10 years or so. We have stayed in both Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas, always at an all-inclusive resort. Has anyone else stayed at an all inclusive place that they can recommend in Mexico? Would love to hear your thoughts!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been in Mexico several times, since I used to live near the border. Other than Mexico City though, I haven't been more than a few miles from the border. My mother-in-law had dual citizenship, and my in-laws used to own a vacation home in Puerto Vallarta but I have never visited them there. Their house was stolen from them by the realtor, who was living there when they came to stay in the home one winter and, since he had all the political pull, they spent a great deal of money fighting it in the courts, but they lost it. I know they had said that it was very nice in Puerto Vallarta.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Many years ago, I went to Mexico with my ex-husband. We drove down from the Seattle area, stopped to see Disneyland, and then went to Mexico for one day. What we did was stay at a motel just on the American side, left our Ford van at the motel, and walked across into Mexico; so we didn't actually go anywhere except just barely across the border.
    It was an interesting day, we just wandered around sight-seeing. I found a little shop that had a beautiful pair of handmade peacock feather earrings, and they were $12, but after negotiatons, I got them for only $8, and happily put them on my ears.
    A few blocks further down was another person selling peacock earrings, and when he saw me walk by, he literally chased us down the road telling me that he would sell them to me cheaper.
    The second pair only cost me $6, and I refused the 3rd, 4th, and 5th pair from all of the other vendors who wanted to sell me more earrings.
    By then, I was thinking that I should just hide the pair that i was wearing !

So, we left Mexico that evening, and the next day, we headed out of California and drove into Arizona. When we got almost into Phoenix, we discovered the most gigantic flea market in the whole world, and spent hours looking at everything there.
    Guess what ........... In Arizona my "handmade peacock earrings" were only $4 ! ! Don't laugh at me, but since they were so cheap, I picked out two more pairs that I liked.
    I had peacock earrings for years to come. I think I still have a pair or two left.......

Andie Nuckels likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I still have two blankets that I bought in Tijuana in 1971 for $2 apiece. I had taken my son to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wildlife Park, then we crossed the border to look around. Since we had taken the train from Fullerton, I didn't really want to carry a lot of stuff back with me, so I wasn't really looking to buy anything. I liked the blankets that they had for sale in some of the shops. They were asking, I think, $10, and then you could bargain them down from there. Since I wasn't really looking to buy anything, I decided that I'd buy a couple of them if I could get them down to $2. No one would go down that far, so we were walking back to the border and someone was offering them for sale along the sidewalk for $5, and they went down to $2. I used those blankets camping, on my bed, and I had the hanging on a wall for a while, and they are both still in excellent shape.

Yvonne Smith and Andie Nuckels like this.