Bed And Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen many ads in travel magazines and other sources about the scrumptious, mouth watering, breakfasts served at Bed and Breakfast places all over the country.

Several years ago my wife was researching her family tree and found a cemetery founded by one of her ancestors in Louisiana. It was overgrown and in terrible shape so we decided to clean it up. Looking for a place to stay we found a Bed and Breakfast that sounded good so we made reservations for two nights, a Tuesday and Wednesday. We loaded the mower and weedeaters and such and drove down there. They showed us our room, it was decorated in an old fashioned style and looked great. Sunce my mind never wanders far from food, My first question was "what time's breakfast"? The answer: "we only serve breakfast on Saturdays."
    ??? How can they call this a bed and breakfast?

Not to be discouraged, a few years ago we decided to take a trip to Florida to just relax and do some beachcombing. We found a Bed and Breakfast that was in a perfect location right on the beach. And they did serve breakfast every morning. But a gourmet meal, NOT. They took a thin slice of bacon and sliced it in two. It must have taken some real skill to slice bacon that thin. And the eggs, they were the kind that come in a milk carton, just pour in what you want.

I don't expect to stay at a Bed and Breakfast again.

Anyone here ever stay at a Bed and Breakfast?

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Many times in the past when money was tight...and some were really not looked after properly. lumpy beds, bed linen that had seen better days etc.. shared bathrooms... but I can honestly say I never once had a bad breakfast.. there was always lots on the menu every day of the week.

The worst breakfast I ever had was after a 13 hour journey to Paris, arrived at 4am, slept for 3 hours in the Charles De Gaulle Airport hotel, with a promise of full breakfast in the morning. After just 3 hours sleep and starving hungry , we went down to breakfast to find we had to queue alongside hundreds (literally) of coach tour passengers for one croissant and a horrible black coffee....

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Both stories are awful experiences, fortunately I've not travelled much
    The 'best' breakfast ever had, was from the Irish B & Bs when we went across to Ireland
    They don't skimp on the rations and it was 'good' ! :)

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have only been to one bed and breakfast, and that was years ago; but it is one of the best memories that I have of staying in some kind of motel/accommodation .
    I was selling insurance, and traveled to a different area each week, and one week I was working along the Columbia River Gorge , which is between Oregon and Washington (one on each side of the river).
    It was late in the fall, early winter, and off-season for tourists, and the people that ran the B&B gave us a special rate that was comparable to staying at a regular motel, since Kristin and I were going to be there for the whole week.
    There was a breakfast buffet in the morning, and the food was spectacular ! Oh, my gosh...... those "sticky buns"....... they were just incredible ! We had all kinds of eggs, bacon, sausage, plus there was waffles, and that kind of breakfast foods.
    The tables were antique, and the dishes and silverware were all different; but beautiful old pieces, and they just mixed up the dishes so that each table was set with a variety of plates and coffee cups.

They actually had a wine-and-crackers (or wine and something ?) in the fireplace room each evening; but we were still out working at that time of day, so we didn't ever get to try that; but it was part of the price.
    Outside was the hot tub, and Kristin and I would sit out in that when we finally got back to our rooms at night. I remember little snowflakes drifting down, but I don't think that there was snow on the ground yet.
    Our rooms were beautiful , old-timey look; but the bed and pillows were soft and comfortable, and not like what you usually get at a motel at all.
    Early in the morning, the lady would start the breakfast rolls, and we could smell those from in our bedrooms......... what an awesome way to wake up that was !
    I have looked online to see if I could find that place, and wondered if it was still in operation; but I have not found anything that looked like where we stayed.
    I guess it will just continue to be a wonderful memory in my mind and heart.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I almost stayed at one but chickened out. After my husband died and before my ex I had a few dates with a guy that was into Renaissance Fairs. I'd already gone to one with him in Fresno.

There was going to be one in another town so we'd have to spend the night. He booked a room at a cute bed and breakfast but I chickened out...with the trip and also him.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Six years ago, we traveled to a B&B about 300 miles from here. Our lives were a mess at the time, and nerves were raw
    from all that had been going on. There were four cottages in a horse shoe pattern,but we were the only ones there. There was a drouhgt
    going on and unfortunately did not get to do many of the activities of the city because of that. However, our saving grace, was the two rocking chairs on the deck. Infact there were two on each one. We sat outside and rocked I know 600 miles on those chairs. It was quite-which we desperately needed,peacefully and ,well it was a Kodak moment for us the whole time.
    Each cottage was done up differently, and had rather unique furnishings.
    Wish i had saved the pictures now. The people who owned it were in the process of selling. I feared whom ever bought the property would
    take them down. But recently checked and they did take one down, but three still standing, and upgraded.I was delighted to know that, as I really
    want to go back there :)

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW I've never been in a B&B like that Yvonne... that sounds like a very special place...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think there has been a deterioration in the kind of lodging that is marketed as a bed and breakfast these days. If we are going to stay someone for a week or more, we will usually look either to something that we can get with our timeshare points or at a bed and breakfast; otherwise we use Choice Hotels because we get a lot of free nights that way. I've been to a bed and breakfast that simply gave vouchers for a restaurant down the street and others that left some pastry and orange juice out, but I have been to some others that were very good. I am not an aficionado, but I think the better ones are those where the owner lives in the building. That's not always the case.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Sheldon Scott and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If you look up the Bed and Breakfast's in the area you want to visit, they will usually tell you what kind of breakfast you will be served. Some places serve what is known as a continental breakfast which is usually coffee or tea, some kind of sweets and maybe some fruit. Other's serve a full breakfast menu, and some like Ken said offer vouchers to a Cafe or Restaurant usually within walking distance for a free breakfast and maybe even lunch or dinner.

Most Bed and Breakfasts here in Louisiana are older historic homes and will have the old fashioned furnishings...although every time I go pick up my husband at his work place I pass a regular ranch style home that has turned itself into a Bed and Breakfast. Not far from us too is an old historic home which has been turned into a Bed and Breakfast and is supposed to be haunted by the woman who the house was built for.

Many Bed and Breakfast places do small weddings, etc. and will offer other special occasions at their place in a one price package. There are Anniversary packages with the champagne, chocolates, jacuzzi tubs, etc. offered as well as Girl Friends stays...and I do mean women who are friends and just want to have some time away from their regular lives, etc.

In the past maybe Bed and Breakfasts had lumpy beds, but now days in the good places money will be spent on very good and comfortable mattresses since the Owners do want to increase their business instead of losing it over a lumpy mattress. :)

We held our middle daughter's wedding at a Bed and Breakfast in Breaux Bridge...which is about an hour from our home. The wedding was on Christmas Day and since this Bed and Breakfast did not do alot of business during the Christmas Holidays they gave us a great deal and 3 free Honeymoon nights and free meal vouchers to my daughter and her new husband. If I ever feel like scanning some of their wedding pictures on to my computer I will share some pics of the wedding and the Bed and Breakfast it was held in. It was a lovely place and the Owners so nice I would recommend this place to anyone visiting our area.