Beautiful California Grapes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This week, our Safeway has Pink Grapes for $0.77 per pound, the lowest price in several years. I bought 20 pounds! They taste just wonderful! My wife, due to her low-carb low-sugar diet, yearned for a couple, so I encouraged her: she ate two! Here's how 20# look after picking off the stems (which took an hour), nearly a 5-gallon bucketful.
    [​IMG]

After crushing (I use our blender), adding adequate sugar, and water, to make two batches of 4-gallons each, here is how one of the buckets of juice, pulp, skins (which will impart color) water, and sugar look, awaiting addition of the yeast.
    [​IMG]

Within a day or two, all the skins & pulp will have been driven to the top surface of the mix, a layer several inches thick, due to the Carbon Dioxide gas being produced, bubbling upwards. I will stir it once a day to get the skins back in the liquid, important for flavor and color. There were several varieties present in their shipment apparently, as some dark-colored ones may be seen in addition to the pink in the first pic. Wish they were all dark, more Resveratrol, the antioxidant which helps stave off cancer. After a week or so, depending on the rate of reaction, the whole shebang will be poured into a pillowcase suspended in a clean bucket, and all the solids (almost) filtered out. Then, the still-fermenting liquid will be kept in large glass Carboys fitted with air-locks to prevent back-flow of outside air into the forming wine.

Life's a toss-up: Stave off cancer, kill the liver! Frank

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered