Bargain Shopping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Hedi Mitchell, Feb 11, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago there used to be a row of houses on a side street in Arlington VA that were all being used for second hand shops. One of the owners got to know me well enough that if he got in stuff from an estate sale he thought I might be interested in, he would call me to give me first crack at it.

I've bought a few tractor attachments off of Craigslist that have been a steal. I got a brand-name post hole digger with auger that retails for over $1,000. I paid $50 (it was very used, but it works fine.)
    IMG_20160312_134024607.jpg
    I changed the grease, but I guess I should probably paint it someday.

I once bought a brand-new-in-box Marlin 30-30 rifle for $75. I just took a look...it retails for $570. I bought a double 12 side-by-side new-in-box shotgun that same day for $50.

I recently posted my bargains habits in another thread discussing retired folks sitting on money rather than spending it. If I see burger marked down as it approaches its expiry date, I'll buy it, get home, start the propane grill as I walk inside, make burgers, grill them, then freeze/vacuum seal them so I have a supply of easy cheap meals. Or sometimes I'll weigh out patties and freeze them so I can make burgers or pull out the exact weight a given recipe may require. That few dollars is not gonna make a financial difference in my life, but it puts a smile on my face. There is no reason I would pay full price when I can keep a supply of bargain burgers & beef in the freezer.

Heck, this started when I was a kid and had aquariums. I would always pick out the pregnant sword tails when shopping for new fish. I would buy 4 fish, and by the time I got home, there were 30 in the bag. I can still see my father haggling over used cars...that's probably where I got my start. He wore a suit to work, but when it was car-buying time, he dressed like a hobo.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always been that way too. Rummage sales, thrift shops, craigslist... I never 'wanted' for fancy expensive stuff.
    It was good preparation for what is to come.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, I got it! The deal of a lifetime!
    Went to the dollar store and found they were selling HOOLA HOOPS!!!! for $1.25, Even with their price increase, it was still a good deal.
    Any takers?

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We'll take three!!
    [​IMG]

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel we got a bargain yesterday at the grocery, whole chickens were 1.99lb, we bought 3.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't resist a sale on meat, even if I don't need it right now. So when I see a sale, I usually pick up some for the freezer.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

We try to also but its close to tax time and home insurance or I'd bought at least10 of them.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Xmas gifts?

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I just found this site you might find it interesting they specialize in freebies. They have links to sites that are giving away stuff in all categories. I just signed up for free recipe book from Jiffy Mix. I noticed they have a IHOP sign up for free pancakes twice a year once for your birthday and the other on the date you sign up. If you got time check it out, let's see how you doing with it.

https://www.thefreesite.com/

Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.