Banks And Credit Unions

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Harry Havens, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Going through and cleaning up a lot of dead links and running across a few that may be of interest.

Banks Closures: There are still some small banks failing to this day. How much is a carryover from 2008, could be debated.

Credit Union Closures: Despite what many think... Credit Unions are susceptible to the same issues as banks. Not a lot of people seem to be aware the Credit Union system was in just as bad a shape as banks. The number may not be as large as the TARP numbers, but comparing the size of the Credit Unions to Banks shows it to be larger in proportion.

Finding your bank: You can research your own bank, for a lot of things, including financials. If you prefer, I can check up on both, as I have another link that is paid subscriber, I use. Not sure how much longer I will be keeping it, as I have about lost interest.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Starting the first year we met, and we were engaged, I've given my wife my paycheck to put into her banking account. After we were married and got my back-tax problem taken care of, she had me put on her account. That was fine with me. At that time, she was still paying back a college school loan. Today we have one account with both of our names on it.

Now, on the flip side of that coin is my half brother and his wife. They have separate accounts, because she likes to give more money to her church than he wants to.

What do you think about separate banking accounts when married? We definitely don't do it, but many do, for whatever reasons, of which I am somewhat curious about.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter and SIL have both, plus business accts.

Certain things are paid out of certain accts...mortgages etc.

No accounts are secret, it's just that it works the best this way for them. They have lots of bills and also income.

It gets complicated and they have a financial advisor and an accountant.

It's simple for me now...just my acct but did have joint with husband when he was alive.

Didn't have joint with my ex but he paid for most things which he insisted on doing...fine by me. :)

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

We both have separate Bank accounts...and...separate CC accounts...

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have CC accounts for myself and my wife, but some of the CC, we each have one.

So, you spend what you want and he does the same? When it coms to food and household bills, who pays? My brother loves buying tools, and he does, with his money. She buys things she wants with her money.

Separate banking accounts is something wife and I could never figure out why a married couple would have.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep we each spend what we want ...

he pays the bills... I pay for the shopping and I buy the clothing for both of us... we go halves on flight fares and the cost of holidays..

However if I need something for example some expensive work on my car..he will pick up the bill because he can afford it more than me..I never ask him to , he just offers...

I decided right from the get go that I would have separate accounts in this marriage, because my previous husband was a gambler (unknown to me until 4 years into the marriage), who stole all of our money and left us up to our eye balls in debt..and after throwing him out, it took me years to try and get back all my good credit while trying to raise my daughter alone..

This husband is not a thief...nor a gambler... but the horror of losing everything (except the roof over my head) to bailiffs will never leave me, and I wouldn't ever trust anyone else..

never again will I put myself in that position...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Totally understand and respect your feelings. It’s very good you think that way and your husband understands.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can totally relate to what you are saying, @Holly Saunders . My first husband (the kids’ father) was an alcoholic and then became a drug addict later, as well. I had never even been around anyone who drank before I met him; so I had no clue that it was any kind of a problem until it was way too late.
    He wrote bad checks for his drugs, and when the drug dealers couldn’t cash the checks, they showed up at our front door demanding money, or threatening to burn the house down.
    I sent Robin to her grandmother’s to keep her safe, and Michael was seldom home anyway; but I was still terrified, plus had no way to make up the bad checks so the bank closed our account. One of my cars was burned by the drug dealers, and the van that his dad had given to us was traded for drugs. I felt like I was living in a nightmare !
    Bobby and I have separate accounts because we each have our SS check coming into our own account, and we each pay part of the expenses each month.
    It seems actually safer this way, what with all of the identity theft going on. Even if one of the accounts was hacked, they would not be able to withdraw everything we have since it is in two different accounts.
    Another thing to consider at this stage of life, is that one of us could die, and then the checking account might be involved in probate or whatever, which is a reason that separate accounts might be safer.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a joint checking account with my daughter who is my only child and heir. It was set up in the event that I become mentally or physically incapacitated.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't allow the cats any access to my finances.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You don't? :)

Pickles has access to my finances, it's gotta stop though...he's spending too much on doggie treats. :)

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I can, but at the same time, can’t understand about separate accounts. I mean, wife and myself have been married twice before without any serious financial problems with our ex’s.

When I told my wife how I wound up owing some State and Federal taxes, we were married with full-time jobs. She helped me pay the back taxes and I helped her pay off her college loan.

Today, neither of us buy anything without letting the other know what is being bought. We would never think about having separate accounts. But, that is us.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL! That would be my worry. Cats online ordering stuff. Like I don't buy them enough myself!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have joint accounts but my wife is usually the only one who knows the passwords. Personal expenses are generally paid for out of our separate PayPal accounts.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a joint checking and savings...and I have a separate checking account too.