Ban Electric Wheel Chairs In Assisted Living Facilities

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

They are a damn menance, particularly in a elevator. Me and my walker have been run into on several occasions. The men act like they are driving a Le Mans Road Race. I see five electric chairs and they are male owners.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched a woman customer in a small clothing shop, put her electric scooter into reverse, and smash down every clothing rail from the back of the shop, right to the front until someone managed to stop her before she crashed into the window display...

She looked around at the carnage and in a childish questioning voice she said'' ooh was that me''?... didn't apologise at all .

I understand these scooters are necessary for the truly disabled to get around but some are just too huge to be in a small area like the aforementioned store...

Trevalius Guyus and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Registered

As long as a resident has both arms there is no need for a scooter in Assisted Living. a wheel chair is all that is necessary. Scooters and Wheel Chairs are quite different.

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

You should be able to go to whoever the administrator is and voice your complaint. This is actually a safety risk to the other residents and staff.
    Perhaps together, you could come up with a solution. Surely they would come up with some rules or risk getting sued if one person injured another one.

I wouldn't want an electric wheelchair inside. I would feel as though I had more control just using hand control.

Trevalius Guyus and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure some residents actually need the electric wheelchair. Just tell them to slow down, or have the administrator send out a bulletin or something.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

but you said it was about people with electric wheelchairs... so if that's sufficient then what's the complaint?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

An across the board ban on scooters might hurt those who’s condition is such that their hands cannot manage the wheels on a wheel chair due to severe arthritis or some such. Some folks simply do not have the strength or breath it takes to use a walker or wheelchair.

It might be best if it was suggested that those who do not really need one must resort to other methods of mobility. The ones who have to have one need to take a safety course before using it within the confines of the building. Kind of like a scooter driving course wherein that person who passes it gets a license to use the scooter. (Yes, I’m serious)

As to those who use the things in a retail store, they should be the ones which are monitored.....heavily! I’ve seen kids grab them and race around a store and I’ve also seen grownups who really really need to walk a little bit more instead of riding around so much.
    To me, if they walk into a store unassisted then they should be able to shop without a scooter.

My wife, of all people who should use a scooter sometimes, refuses to use one and opts to simply use the cart as support when she is hurting and / or out of breath. I guess she feels that the more exercise she gets even whilst shopping, the better off she’ll be later on when things really get rough.

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Thanks for all the good response to my OP.

9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I worked part time for awhile at a manufacturer for powered mobility equipment where repairs were done. Some guys hooked two batteries in series and gave it a test run down the hall. Wow,did that thing fly!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That sounds like a problem for the facility management to work out. Not everyone in a wheelchair is strong enough to propel himself around so it seems there is a need for the electric chairs. At the same time, I can see that they could be a problem in closed quarters. Having not yet had need of a mobile chair, I guess I don't know the difference between a wheelchair and what is referred to here as a scooter. Is a scooter the things that grocery stores have available for customers? I know my wife can be dangerous in those things because she would use them after she had back surgery for a while.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Electric wheel chairs were ok where I live until one lady smashed into another and that lady never walked again. Sunrise bans them now indoors.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

OMG!!! :eek:

13. Monica Rich

Monica Rich Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was looking online at CCR's, Independent and Assisted facilities and there was one of them that had on their activity calendar a " Scooter Driving Skills Class" with a Scooter License given out after successful completion. But, cant remember which one it was. I looked at so many! So yes it can be done. And should be required Quarterly.

I also like Lois comment that Sunrise bans them indoors!

Lon Tanner and Lois Winters like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There's got to be a way to set a max speed on those things.

I'm kinda torn on the subject. I get the "universal safety" issue, but at that point in their lives, they gotta have something left.

I was thinking setting it at "5 out of 10"indoors, and doing a weekly slalom contest in the parking lot. Obviously, I'm not a risk management guy ;)