Bamboo Privacy Screen

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the bamboo! But what is even better, now I find out Bobby Cole is "your" hubby Yvonne?? LOL!! Why didn't you say something!! I did NOT know he was married, you do know that right?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not a problem at all, @Denise Happyfeet ! You gave us both a great chuckle when we read your post, and laughed a lot while we both decided our respective responses.
    I think you must be the ONLY person on the whole forum that did not know we are married. Since you and I have known each other for quite a long time now, both Bobby and I thought it was hilarious that you didn't realize who he was.

As for the avatar, neither one of us have any idea who it is or even if it depicts an actual person. I just found the picture, and it seemed to "represent" @Bobby Cole perfectly; and he likes it, too.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

thanks Yvonne, can't tell you how bad I felt. That's what I get for flirting "before" I find out if someone is married:(

Anyway, I'm glad you guys got a good laugh;) No, I never knew who Bobby Cole was. You gotta admit, that pic is rather "fetching" LOL!

I really do love the bamboo fencing though. Sometimes I get stuck on one thread, and forget to look around at others. Thank goodness I looked at yours this a.m.;)

Linda Binning and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't know you 2 were married Yvonne till last night when I read what you said about the yard work. For some crazy reason I've always thought that avatar photo was of Sherlock Holmes at some point in his life. :)

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

So......... I thought that maybe I should look up Bobby's avatar and see if I can tell who it actually is. Thanks to the wonderful clue from @Linda Binning about Sherlock Holmes, I was able to find the picture again.
    Turns out it is an actor named Robert Downey Jr., and he played Sherlock Holmes in a 2009 movie of the same name. The picture is of him when he was in the movie.
    I like the avatar pic, too, @Denise Happyfeet , and since it also remended me of Bobby, that is why I thought it would work for him.
    Denise, Bobby and I were all in another forum called Senior Playground (now defunct) with several other people from SeniorsOnly, and it had never occurred to me that all this time, she didn't know that Bobby and I were married to each other.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

OMG, that photo did remind me of Robert Downey jr. but he looks thinner in that!! He is dreamie in his films nowadays. He get's better with age:

[​IMG]

7. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't see that movie but I must have seen the ad and subconsciously remembered it. :) Yes, Robert Downey Jr, like my Johnny Depp, gets better looking with age. :)

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

And I, today, realized for the "nth" time, I am beginning to hate mirrors!

9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ahhh, I looked it up, and realized my neighbor used to have some of that in one particular spot. I guess to him that was his 'out house', because it was in front of the area where he used to (still does?) pee outside in his yard. That's one reason why I put up the large lattice planters on that side of the porch, and put the back of my balcony chairs in that direction. Yes, I have classy neighbors. I really like the look of yours.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

We have been talking about what to do with that part of the fence for a while now. It was originally just an old chain link fence, and then I put up the little green plastic fence weaving to help give the back yard some privacy from the road.
    The dogs chewed up the fence weave trying to see out, and Tootsie also chewed up a pretty little rosebush that was planted there.
    I suppose she got mad at it because the thorns stabbed her when she was trying to see out.

Bobby first made a wooden gate and put that up where the chain link one was, with the idea that we could grow shrubs and vines (raspberries, grapes, blackberries) along the fence and that would give us a privacy hedge.
    That is actually a viable plan, except that if Tootsie keeps chewing things up, they will never grow tall enough to do anything, and even so, it will take several years before the vines cover the fence.
    This bamboo will not last forever; but it gives us privacy right now, and there are little spaces in between the bamboo slats, so the vines can grow around and through the bamboo.

Just inside the back yard is the shed which is Bobby's shop; so that is the main reason we don't want people lookinng into the back yard.
    We live in one of the worst neighborhoods around, and Bobby's tools could easily disappear right out that gate if it was easy for people to see and get into the back yard.

Diane Lane and Lara Moss like this.
  11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I hear you. Someone 'visited' my backyard shed recently, and I'm still irritated about it. I let people in the neighborhood know that I wasn't happy, just in case it's a kid that belongs to someone and they're aware of it. If people would spend as much time getting a job and working it as they do thieving, they'd be a lot better off financially.

Is there some sort of deterrent product you could spray on those areas that would discourage the dogs from chewing on it? Sort of like that nasty tasting stuff someone created for nail biters? Obviously something non-toxic, of course, that wouldn't harm the dogs or the plants themselves :D.

12. Yvonne Smith

I think that just having the bamboo screening on the fence will stop the chewing , @Diane Lane . When we were raising Shorkies, we had more dogs, and the Yorkies especially, had to see what was going on outside of the fence and they clawed and chewed all of the plastic fence weaving. Eventually, many of the weaves were just gone at the bottom.
    Now there is just Tootsie, and the bamboo is outside of the chainlink fence; so she can't chew it up anyway. Since she can't even see out of the bamboo; she won't be as upset byt the soses and raspberries that are growing on the inside of the fence.
    Bobby wants to move the backyard swimming pool up closer to the back door of the house, and now that it is screened off from the road, that will be more private for swimming as well.