Baked Taro

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is an experiment for taro which we baked using the recipe for cassava cake. It looks okay with the result although I think it can still be improved.

Ingredients: 1 kilo of taro, 1 cup sugar, 1 can of condensed milk, 1 grated coconut.
    IMG_3017 baked taro ingredients.jpg

Procedure: Boil the taro until it is soft to the prick of the fork then peel and grind or grate. Extract the coconut milk from the grated coconut using a cup of water.

Add the sugar, condensed milk and coconut milk to the grated taro. Stir until the mixture blends well. Pour into a pie pan and bake in 350 degrees for 2 hours. That simple.
    IMG_3028 baked taro.jpg

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That looks delicious, Corie. I have read that it is also well regarded in Hawaii.:)

"Taro is the staple of the Native Hawaiian diet and at the core of the Hawaiian culture".

[​IMG]
    @Krissttina Isobe

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've tried poi in Maui since it's at every luau you go to and I didn't like it at all. What you made looks much better, Corie.

The poi that's served at luaus is purple and kind of like a loose mashed potato. I tried it at the first luau I ever went to just for the experience since it's part of their culture and a staple in Hawaii but never had it again on any future visits.