Baffling Brexit?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Harry Havens, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Tom Galty likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Registered

Mine too ! I think you should send your post to Parliament

3. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Don Alaska and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Tom Galty - if anyone deserves it Fonzie does - I have a box set of Happy Days as the shows made me very happy
    But the main reason is the good work he does charity wise - a lovely, lovely man :)

5. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a Seniors Only Club. We are leaving the EU. It was us who instructed the government and that's the only input we have. The endless discussions and complaints will not make the slightest difference to the outcome, so better to mute the television, say to hell with the future and make the best of our short lives.
    We could follow a lot of MP's who have taken out dual citizenship or like Mr Mogg, invest in a company that has moved to Ireland.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Leaving the EU - I'll believe it when I see it

Tom Galty and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd want to take Dual citizenship out somewhere..but where?......I know for certain that many of our MP's are now banking in Ireland. That's enough to put the fear of God up me, why would they need to, if things are going to change for the better supposedly ...?...I I have a home in Spain but if I was to take citizenship there, I automatically lose citizenship here in the UK. Talk about rock and a hard place...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the shipping issue brought up by @Harry Havens might be a red herring. We (Alaska) import a lot of stuff. We export a lot of stuff, too, mostly resources centering on oil. There are much greater distances involved than in the EU, but the imports are received in container ships and many times the containers are simply abandoned here. The oil, of course, is carried in tankers which arrive empty and depart full. The container ships arrive full and depart empty but commerce continues. The minuscule distances across the Channel would not be an obstacle either way. The EU seems to be just a way for Germany (with some input from France) to dominate Europe economically as they couldn't militarily. @Holly Saunders if there is some economic disquietude happening, it probably is just the uncertainty surrounding the value of the Pound post departure. I suspect the money transfers are temporary and the funds will return when the uncertainty is resolved. I am sure that there is a lot of clandestine maneuvering going on there as there is here, but I would suggest that you enjoy your life on The Island and wait to see what happens. You could follow the lead of the big guys and diversify your resources until things settle down, though, if it would make you feel better and more secure.

Tom Galty and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I couldn't agree with you more Don, the fear of course is that France is going to be awkward at the borders, and prevent haulage getting through. We've been told Doctors and hospitals have stocked up with at least 6 weeks of medication for the ''very real fear'' that there will be a great shortage of essential medications, which of course send horrible shivers down the spines of those with serious illnesses,...then of course the dramatic devaluation of the £1 against the Dollar. Of course all this is supposing that we go through with a No Deal..which we're trying to avoid at all costs, but Theresa May seems to have her boots stuck in cement, and is not shifting on her position, and with only 2 months to go..it's a very real prospect!!

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think you poor PM may be in over her head in this deal. With Boris snapping at her heels and disloyalty in her party ranks, she may walk you into an economic disaster, albeit temporary. I believe everyone should make some attempt to be prepared at least for temporary outages of food and supplies, but part of that is due to where I live. In a way, though, you live on an island that could be isolated by a disaster as you, like us, have little access to overland supply routes.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Precisely...you've hit the nail squarely on the head !!

12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The people in Brussels need England more than England need Brussels so they will use scare techniques to keep them in. The whole idea of EU was a trial run of the New World Order bring in countries and then have an non elected government to rule over all. How they got fooled into it surprised me. Now they are awakening and realized they need out to save their country. God bless the enlighten English