Bad Dreams

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Patsy Faye, May 20, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think what you saw might have been "mcg" and not "mg". I have never seen a 100 mg melatonin tablet, and the largest ones are about 10 mg. One that was 100mcg would be equivalent to 1 mg, so it might just be how they are labeling them.
    You should be able to get them at the grocery store in the vitamin section, and just try a small bottle while you see if they help you or not.

I love kiwi's , too! They are somewhere between a strawberry and a pineapple taste to me. Maybe a little like one of those green honeydew melons, too. The best thing. Is to buy one and try it, @Patsy Faye .

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh ! I'll check that :oops:

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - I checked Amazon again and the lowest is 100 mg - I then noticed one at 50mg
    Ebay do a 10mg - but I read the side effects from a site I use for medications and I would not go over 1mg
    I'll keep looking though :)

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I tried melatonin and I've only seem the 3 mg or 5 mg...I had the 3 but didn't work for me. :(

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here is the dosing info...

Adults
    BY MOUTH:

• For sleep disorders in blind people: 0.5 mg to 5 mg of melatonin taken daily before bedtime for up to 6 years has been used. A high dose of 10 mg taken an hour before bedtime for up to 9 weeks has also been used. 3 mg of a specific product (Pharma Nord, Vejle, Denmark) has also been taken daily for 12 months.
    • For trouble falling asleep: 0.3 to 5 mg of melatonin daily for up to 9 months has been used.
    • For sleeping problems in people with sleep-wake cycle disturbances: 2 mg to 12 mg taken at bedtime for up to 4 weeks has been used.
    • For insomnia: 2 mg to 3 mg of melatonin before bedtime for up to 29 weeks has been used in most research. Higher doses of up to 12 mg daily have also been used for shorter durations (up to 4 weeks).
    • For endometriosis: 10 mg daily for 8 weeks has been used.
    • For high blood pressure: 2 mg to 3 mg of a controlled-release melatonin has been use for 4 weeks.
    • For jet lag: 0.5 mg to 8 mg at bedtime is commonly taken on the arrival day at the destination, continuing for 2 to 5 days. Low doses of 0.5 mg to 3 mg are often used to avoid the hypnotic properties of the higher 4 to 5 mg doses.
    • For reducing anxiety before surgery in adults: 3 mg to 10 mg of melatonin has been taken 60 to 90 minutes before surgery.
    • As treatment for solid tumors in combination with conventional therapy: 10 mg to 40 mg along with radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or interleukin 2 (IL-2). Melatonin is typically started 7 days before the start of chemotherapy and continued throughout full treatment course.
    • For jaw pain: 5 mg of melatonin at bedtime for 4 weeks has been used.
    • For prevention and treatment of lowered clot-forming cells (thrombocytopenia) associated with cancer chemotherapy: 20 mg to 40 mg of melatonin daily beginning up to 7 days before chemotherapy and continuing throughout chemotherapy cycles has been used.
    APPLIED TO THE SKIN:
    • For sunburn: A gel containing 0.05% to 2.5% melatonin, applied either 15 minutes before or up to 4 hours after sun exposure, has been used.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thanks Chrissy - seems you can't take it long term either
    I'll give it a try though if I find a dose low enough

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was surprised about the long term comments but maybe just in the study they did...I don't know. But it has worked for many people...think my daughter took it for awhile but quit and I can't remember why.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

May be the higher dose they refer to
    I'll check other options too tomorrow - tired now LOL :rolleyes:

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, that's good!!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Decided to go for Bach flower remedy in 'Aspen' (on Amazon)
    positive reviews and could do well for me - worth a try :)
    Even animals have benefited - don't mean it will work on this human :p

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Is this what it is?

[​IMG]
    Woman looking at Bach flower remedies
    Bach flower remedies (BFRs) are solutions of brandy and water—the water containing extreme dilutions of flower material developed by Edward Bach, an English homeopath, in the 1930s. Bach claimed that dew found on flower petals retain imagined healing properties of that plant.[1] Systematic reviews of clinical trials of Bach flower solutions have found no efficacy beyond a placebo effect.[2][3]

The solutions, which contain a 50:50 mix of water and brandy, are called mother tincture.[4] Stock remedies—the solutions sold in shops—are dilutions of mother tincture into other liquid. Most often the liquid used is alcohol, so that the alcohol level by volume in most stock Bach remedies is between 25 and 40%[5] (50 to 80 proof). The solutions do not have a characteristic scent or taste of the plant because of dilution. The dilution process results in the statistical likelihood that little more than a single molecule may remain; it is claimed that the remedies contain energetic or vibrational nature of the flower and that this can be transmitted to the user.[2] The solutions are described by some as vibrational medicines,[6] which implies they rely on the pseudoscientific concept of water memory. They are often labeled as homeopathic because they are extremely diluted in water, but are not homeopathy as they do not follow other homeopathic ideas such as the law of similars.

Does your have alcohol? I just looked at a few sites...haven't looked on Amazon yet.

Edit: I did look on Amazon and you can have them made without alcohol if you want.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Bloomin eck - I may as well have a sip of Brandy :rolleyes:
    I'll have ta think again ....................:p

13. Billie Lane

Billie Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't drink or eat after 9.00p.m. or for at least 3 hours before bed.
    You can drink mineral water but nothing else.
    Avoid, where possible any chemical sleep-aids , they are only effective in the short term.
    Sleeplessness is caused by both a busy mind and a busy digestion. Over time they feed one another and add to your stress.

If you need anything to calm you before sleeping , consider Ayurvedic medicine.
    look here
    http://www.chopra.com/articles/what-is-ayurveda

http://www.chopra.com/articles/how-to-get-restful-sleep

i would seriously consider learning to meditate and possibly embracing - at least in part - an Ayurvedic diet.
    Consider joining a Meditation/yoga group or even practicing Dream-Yoga or Lucid dreaming in order to control your dream-life and deal effectively with recurring nightmares.

If you consider Lucid dreaming as an option Lucid dreaming by Stephen LaBerge is the ideal introduction.
    The book also contains a CD which can be used to induce lucidity.
    There are also many dream-induction CD's on the market that can be looped during the night to encourage specific dreams, such as walking in a beautiful garden.
    Even if you don't have a lucid dream the recordings will help to re-focus your subconscious mind while you sleep.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thank you Billie - will look up Ayurvedic medicine :)
    @Billie Lane

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

I have just been looking up a host of things but there's always something that puts me off
    I will check what Billie suggests and still checking the melatonin too