Bad Apples At Walmart

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by K E Gordon, Sep 29, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have had Walmart's produce many times, and most of he time, I have no issues with it. However, I bought some yellow apples in a bag the last time I was there, not long ago, and they are now all mushy! I had maybe 6 apples out of the bag, the rest are no good! not happy at all, if it wasn't so far away, I would take them back. FYI, I was going to buy some Romaine lettuce there, and it had a fly in it!

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I rarely buy food at Walmart. It's not so much that it has gone bad, but that it simply isn't good. There doesn't seem to be much flavor in any fruits or vegetables that I have had from Walmart.

Yvonne Smith and K E Gordon like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just don't shop there too often because it's probably 4 miles from my house instead of 2.5!

I would call them...tell them what happened...ask for a name and they should give you a refund or a new bag.

I did that with an avocado they didn't put in my bag. Called them and I said I don't feel like driving back and they said just say Kevin said they owe me an avocado.

Later at my daughter's I was looking for something in my trunk and I found and old moldy shriveled avocado, lol.

No, I didn't go and get another one. :)

4. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

eewww! :eek:

I do not buy produce or meats at Walmart. I rarely buy any groceries there.

When it comes to household items such as towels, sheets, etc. they are the bomb. but groceries, NO THANKS.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Although I never shop there, I know people who do and some stuff is not so bad...it's the same crap other stores get.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a puzzlement to us as well. We have also found that produce from Walmart is just never good quality, no matter how nice it might look on the outside. However, we shop at Sam's Club, which is a Walmart company, and the fruits and vegetables from Sam's Club are first rate.
    You would think that they would get their produce from the same place, since it is from the same contraceted company; but apparently they eother don't get it from the same shippers, or they buy different qualities for each store.
    Last year, they had huge cantalopes on sale for $1 and we got two of them, and neither one of them had any taste to them at all. Same with watermelons. Yet, at Sam's we bought a golden honeydew and it was maybe the very best melon that I have ever tasted in my life. And we always get watermelon there, and it is delicious and juicy every time , too.
    I agree with @Arlene Richards , Walmart is a good place and cheap for household items, and clothes; but not so much for foods.
    However, some things are much cheaper there. I buy canned shrimp for salads and coleslaw, and at Kroger, their cheapest can is over $3, while at Walmart, it is $2+ something; but defnitely under $3.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never gotten produce there but have on occasion bought SF Popsicles and lean Cuisine's. Never had a problem.

Only time I've had produce from Sam's Club is at my son's. It was ok but my Daughter in law doesn't like my son buying produce at Sam's, prefers Costco which is further for them...the little I had from Sams was okay to me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't buy towels or sheets at Walmart...think it's poorer quality. I like Costco much better and they have good prices on them.

Maybe stores vary by location also when it comes to produce. I've had bad experiences a few times at Trader Joe's with some of their things going bad too soon or already moldy but I didn't notice when I bought it.

Clothes wise if would only buy socks and that type of thing. It might be cheaper but it's cheaper quality....if you watch for sales you can get something better quality at Macy's on sale.

Actually I think Macys quality has gone down too. Same with Loft. Used to shop there a lot now I never even go in the store.

8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been very pleased with Walmart online shopping, FWIW. Price, quality, and delivery service were excellent. But I still don't want their meats or produce.

9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am guessing that you bought the packed apples. It happened to me several times but not in Walmart though. I used to just grab a pack of fruits or vegetables. And early this year, I had bought a pack of potato with one rotting, also bought a pack of cucumbers with one piece bruised. With fruits, I seldom buy in packs because of that experience and now I am not buying vegetables in packs either because of the same reason - you cannot inspect each piece inside the pack and maybe the "packers" are smart in hiding the defects of the fruits and vegetables when packing.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's true Corie. I see that a lot with packaged fruits and veggies....there's usually a bad one or one that's too ripe.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Me too I had similar problems with onions from CVS. I usually buy real cheap at Chinatown a 3 medium to small yellow onions for just a dollar in clear plastics, so I can see the onions, so I buy the size I want. But CVS had 7 big mediums for just 1.99 and I couldn't resit it. Took it home and hoped for the packaging was not a clear one. There was one very old onion in the package. I always buy produce thinking I want good ones, if needed to be crunchy crunchy one etc. and it works. When on occasion I don't think it while buying it even individually I get a bad one.I My home loves apples but we're small eaters and we leftover apples in our pancakes. Every time I buy apples with the thinking I want a sweet and crunchy good apple I get that kind of apple. One time I didn't think it, while picking my apple I got an inside bruised one. This little "hope" I do at the produce dept. works for me, lol!