Baby Bat

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Corie Henson, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We were about to enter a McDonald's outlet in the province last Saturday when we chanced upon a little black thing right in the middle of the drive-thru pathway. At first, I thought it was a crumpled black plastic bag. But then it took flight and landed on the ground again. Gee, a baby bat. And it's early morning so maybe the baby bat couldn't find its way back home. After the pictorial, we placed the baby bat by the perimeter fence in the hope that it can fly home. After breakfast, we didn't find the baby bat anymore so probably it was able to go home. IMG_3174 paniki.jpg

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson

How wonderfully merciful of you! Bats are near & dear to me, because they consume such a great amount of the insect population which "pesters" us humans. Bats have received much negative "vibes" over the centuries, due to their unusual and reclusive habits.

A widespread fungus seems to be killing off millions of bats. The implication of it is that insect population will increase correspondingly, a thing we humans do not need at all.

Bats are ranked in comparison to one of the other longest-enduring animals on Earth, Cockroaches. Bats have been a part of the Earth environment for at least 30 times as long as humans: 60 million years. To successfully remain as a species on this Earth for 60 million years suggests a most "nearly-perfect" life-form.
    Frank

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

They give me the heebie jeebies - I'm pleased you did that Corie, much safer :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't seen a bat for a long time, and it is really sad, because they eat alot of insects. They are really needed in this area for sure. I think that it is one of the things that keeps all these insects at bay. I am glad you took care of the bat Corrie. That was definitely good for you to do. It is something that not evreyone would have done, and it was nice of you. I probably would have tried to move it out of a traffic area as well, try to recruit someone to help me..because I would be scared. I have taken little injured birds to rehab though.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, they are creepy. Bats, rats and snakes could all perish and I wouldn't miss them....especially rats.