Automatic Spring Forward

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Jenn Windey, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Modern technology has again left me baffled and confused. It is again time to spring forward in the United States. I like to believe that I am pretty comfortable with tech, so this morning when my alarm went off (yes even on a Sunday) My first thought was well, at least it won't be to bad because I have had to get up an hour early for work all week. I just got to remember to turn the clocks forward today in the house.

I will share a personal tidbit about myself, when I am not working I absolutely do not like being tied to the clock. I don't wear a watch, I don't rush and I don't want to know what time it is. I decided years ago that to many people become slaves to the grind because of the clock. Sometimes it is good to just let life happen.

So I get up and start my day and in the kitchen I have a clock and I look thinking it's 8am? Wait the alarm went off awhile ago. I am now baffled and go in the bedroom, sure enough the clock says 9, I check my phone it says 9. I smile because it occurs to me that these clocks run from satellite and technology has sprung forward for me. I can't help but wonder how many people will inadvertently set clocks like these forward yet another hour. Can't help but feel this whole forward back thing is a waste anyway, but to me it is sort of an official tradition of acknowledging that hello spring moment. The long johns will go in the box tonight till next year.

Yvonne Smith and Richard Paradon like this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Because technology takes care of keeping the time correct I only have to change one clock, the one on the stove. I like not having to worry about the time being correct when it changes for daylight saving time. I also do not wear a watch, it seems my body clock is just about right when I think o the time no need for a watch. When I work I have the tv on to keep up with the time, the show that is on comes on at a certain time so I know what time it is, when the tv shows change schedule that can cause a little confusion on my part.

I wish I could say the long johns were being put away until next fall but we are still covered in ice and I don't wear long johns, maybe I will if this cold weather continues.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that DSL may have been a good idea for farmers a long time ago, but it is, in my opinion, very outdated. Here in Thailand we don't bother with it. About the only thing that I used it for back in the States was to replace the batteries in my smoke alarms.

4. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't get daylight savings time. I don't understand anyone wanting it to still be daylight at 9:00 PM as it is later in the summer. It makes absolutely no sense to me and I really wish they'd just leave the time alone, whoever "they" are. Of course I realize that other people feel just the opposite. One spring I had the thought that maybe we could compromise and only spring forward one half hour then call it quits never to play with the time again.

I still think that would be the best idea if we can't just stay on regular time.:)