Auto Shop

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 31, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

What a timely post! I was hanging a sunshade from my rearview mirror and it fell off! What the heck? I need to look for some of that adhesive too! Of course I compensate by using my side view mirrors, but i need to get that mirror back up ASAP. It is kind of weird to be without it, and not real safe in city traffic. I think it is just one of the things that need to be taken care of.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon
    The adhesive has to be something requiring no "cure time", unless you can hold it in place motionless, until the glue cures. The instant glue available comes to mind, can't think of a brand name right now..........Wife says "Krazy Glue".

K E Gordon likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Buy the glue, made for that purpose and follow the directions to the letter. You don't want to glue the button on upside down.;)

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon Take the car to a shop that installs windshields, cheap and fast. See my earlier post.

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I was talking about these options with roomie who is a mechanic, his feeling is that these cheaper solution are not going to hold beyond a few days. He is going to auto zone today as he always has some kind of vehicle projects going on,and let me know what is there. I do not want to buy something expensive... I would rather buy a cheaper kit or adhesive and take my chances with it..We will see what he says when he comes back. I mean in the case of Krazy glue you could keep reapplying it anyway, plus it would come in useful for other projects. I don't want to spend big bucks on this thing,and I don't think I will have to.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have used plenty of rearview mirrors before that I could simply glue back on the windshield, the problem being that, on a hot day, they tend to fall off again. This wasn't that, however. I wanted to keep the same rearview mirror that came with the vehicle, or a replacement for it, since my interior lights are attached to it. It is not a cheap plastic mirror, nor does it come in two pieces. Generally, there is a mount that would be glued onto the window and held in place with tape until the glue has set. This is one piece, and there was no way that I was going to be able to hold it in place until the glue set. There was also the problem that it took a part of a layer of window glass with it. Still, I was only charged $15-something for the rearview mirror replacement, so it wouldn't have been much of a savings for me to do it myself. The rest of what I was charged was for the tailpipe and the inspection. I already have a ding in my windshield, so it won't be long before it will be time to replace my windshield again; at that time, I'll get a replacement mirror.