Australia Is Going To Cure Its Carp Problem With The Herpes Virus

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Babs Hunt, May 2, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt Dang good question! Huge Carp grow and proliferate here in the Colorado River, 3-4 feet long, I guess they eat everything in sight. Not game fish, no good to eat we hear, about 5 years ago a plan was announced to reduce their numbers, without affecting the magnificent Striped Bass so famous here; those Bass grow as big as the Carp! For a few years, no Carp were seen by us as we walked the Riverwalk. Last year, some were seen. This year more.

Perhaps they should encourage the fishermen to go after them more aggressively. Those guys want fish they can Eat, I understand that. Frank

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Here in Iowa, river carp used to be sold in a local fish market. They were smoked, and quite tasty, except for the many bones. An older lady here used to fillet carp, then pound the hell out of the slabs of meat to break up those little bones into tiny pieces. Then, she would fry the slabs which seemed to dissolve any bits of bone.
    As a teen, we lived in a house right across the street from a large slough. It was full of pretty much inedible carp. I would while away summer evenings roaming the banks with a fish gig (spear). The carp would be along the shore feeding. You had to sneak up on them slow and easy, or they would spook. Got some really big ones. Must have stabbed hundreds of 'em, which I tossed into nearby corn fields.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis...throwing those Carp in the corn fields might have been a good idea...maybe they could grind Carp up and use it as fertilizer. :)

Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Fish actually does make a wonderful fertilizer ! When I lived in Western Washington, I was across from a good-sized lake, Lake Mayfield, and I loved to go fishing !
    I had one of those little pedal boats that you can just pedal like you would do with a bicycle, and I would troll along the banks of the lake and fish for kokanee trout.
    When I caught them, I either pan-fried the fish or smoked them on my Little Chief smoker. The remains after I cleaned the fish, I would bury under a rose or lilac bush.
    Occasionally, I would catch a sucker or squawfish, which were considered inedible, and those I buried the whole fish under the rosebush.

I actually got in trouble with my neighbor across the street for doing this !
    He had a little Schnauzer, and the Schnauzer would often wander around the neighborhood, and through my yard as he went on his travels. Apparently, he could smell the decaying fish remains , because he dug one of the dead fish up and ate it.
    I had no idea that the dog had even done such a thing; but then my neighbor came over to tell me that he had had to take his little dog to the vet and have fish bones removed from his throat. I agreed with him that this was a terrible thing, and was glad that the dog was okay.
    Then, he told me that the dog had gotten the fish bones from digging up the buried fish under my rose bushes. He acted like it was MY fault that his dog did this and got the bones stuck in his throat.
    I, however, was thinking that his dog had no business even being in my yard and digging under my flowers, and certainly didn't offer to help pay for his vet bill ! !
    After that, I continued to bury the fish heads under the roses, and I think that the neighbor decided that his dog should stay in their own yard........

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

He is the old recipe for cooking carp first fillet the carp next place it on a wooden board in the oven cook at 350 degrees for about ½ hour than take it out and through away the carp and eat the wood.

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess Australia has not learned their lesson. Don't fool with mother nature remember the rabbits. Nature will find a way of fixing its own problems if nature things it is a problem.