Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder- Adhd

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I taught high school Mathematics a year. Not a professional educator possessed of the usual "tricks" teachers universally resort to, I leveled with the kids on the first day of class: I am NOT a teacher, but a trained Technical Professional who uses higher mathematics every day applied in practical ways, to provide the ability to design and build things such that they will not break, or endanger safety, and yet perform as expected.

They instantly liked that! I felt "in", and stopped quivering inwardly. Soon, they began confiding in me, trusting me. Soon, one big kid, about 5 inches taller than me, approached me to explain he had run out of his medicine, holding out the empty prescription bottle. He said he was feeling the need, badly, for it. I looked the bottle over closely, his name, date info, authentic, the medication?

Adderall. For ADHD. Real fine print: Dexamphetamine.

I blinked. AMPHETAMINE?? The stuff we imprison folks for possessing it? This kid takes it by PRESCRIPTION?? I closed my mind, at that moment, to the "War on Drugs".

Absolute hypocrisy. If you care, "Adderall is a combination drug containing salts of the two enantiomers of amphetamine, a psychostimulant of the phenethylamine class. Adderall is prescribed in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy."

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

Bonnie Thomas and Linda Binning like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes and there are plenty of kids on these meds, even in the lower grades. :(

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Way too many children these days are medicated and/or overmedicated. Often, it's because the teachers or parents (or both) don't want to deal with them. I can't put too much blame on the teachers, because the kids are disruptive, but many times it's because they have never been taught to sit down and shut up. We have a society full of precocious children that have been worshiped and never disciplined. Almost every foster child I worked with was on medication, usually a combination of several, with multiple diagnoses. Many, if not most, of the CPS children I worked with were the same. Many of the parents had no clue how to act, let alone how to raise children. Without a diagnosis, the child won't get SSI, and that's a check going to the parents. If a parent has 3 or 4 kids on SSI, that's around $1,800 - 2,400/month, and Medicaid goes along with it. So do other benefits. The less the parents discipline their children, the more they act out, which increases the chance that they'll get referred for a diagnosis.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's almost like it's fad but I suspect a more sinister reason. What the reason might be would be another matter.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

These is an aspect of 'flavor of the month' diagnosing that I noticed when I was working in the field. At one point everyone was ADD/ADHD, then BiPolar, and Conduct Disorder and ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) were other favorites. Many of today's youth are lost in medicated hazes. I can't imagine many of the ones I worked with will end up functioning well in society. I think some of the problem is drug use in either or both parents prior to birth and/or mom using while pregnant, but many of them didn't have a chance based on who their parents were, and their lack of maturity and parenting skills.

I don't doubt there's a more sinister reason. The kids are given the medication so they're more docile and easy to control. That won't change when they come of age. They will be on stronger drugs, still receiving government benefits because they can't function in society, and I'm sure there will be someone ready and willing to steer them in a particular direction.

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Diane Lane : Is it at all possible that, beyond the sinister aspects of doling out various drugs to kids, that during adulthood their minds will have become flaccid enough to accept indulgence in the illicit drugs?

Frank

7. Diane Lane

Registered

It could go that way @Frank Sanoica, especially if they received positive reinforcement for taking the medication, and experienced positive effects from it. Many of the boys I saw didn't like taking the meds, and would refuse to take them, especially when they experienced negative effects. A lot of times, they would dull their senses and personalities, and who of us would like that? Alternatively, every girl of or over the age of puberty was given birth control, whether they wanted or needed it. They were all given Depo-Provera shots, whether or not they were sexually active. I never heard one of them complain about that the way they complained about their other medicines, which always surprised me.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Most of these children are only children who are on a sugar high but they want to put them on drugs because they are more active than the teachers.
    There is an interesting thing about Ritalin the drug they use to slow down children but if this drug is given to an adult it speeds them up. So if the doctors want to give this to the children they should instead give it to the teacher to speed them up to the children.

9. Diane Lane

Registered

A lot of the kids don't even take the medication, because they don't want to be slowed down, and a lot of the moms do take the meds, because they want to be sped up and lose weight. Here's an interesting report on the subject, and it has additional links, in case anyone's interested enough to read them. http://ahrp.org/texas-foster-care-i...s-young-as-3-are-drugged-with-antipsychotics/

10. Ken Anderson

Registered

When I adopted a seven year-old, he was on Ritalin and some other drug when he came to me. He had a bad home life and, while medication might dull the ways in which he reacts to this reality, the medications weren't going to make it go away. Since he was with me for a year before I could adopt him, I first discussed it with a doctor and then had to ask permission for child protective services to take him off the medication. That was granted, and he did just fine without them.

Diane Lane and Martin Alonzo like this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Ken I am glad you seen the insanity. The love treating symptoms because they will always have a costumer.
    If the look for the cause or cure it they lose a costumer.

12. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's how I see it also Martin. Kids have been kids forever ... now it requires drugs to contain them!
    Such a sad situation that shouldn't be.

13. Martin Alonzo

Registered

When we were kids we got real food eggs vegetables or oatmeal and a glass of milk.
    Now kids get fruity pebbles with extra sugar apple juice this is not nourishment when half is sugar.

Rachel Rodarte and Diane Lane like this.
  14. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Well-Known Member
    Registered

How often are kids medicated because their behaviour is "disturbing" to lazy adults, rather than because they are disturbed? My son was born high energy, like my mother. We stopped giving him naps when he was two, else he would be up to

eleven pm every night. Providing he was kept busy with a variety of things that piqued his interest, no problem. Otherwise, he would become hyper. Today, he is happily married, successful, and very busy, grabbing life with

both hands, and squeezing out every last drop of enjoyment. Sometimes it scares me to think of what might have happened if I had listened to the psychobabble of a counselor who labeled him as ADHD, solely based on the fact

he gesticulated with his hands. Of course he did, our whole family talks with our hands, and he was in French Immersion from the time he was in kindergarten. Les Québécois use their whole bodies as expressive tools in conversation. Had he been female, nothing would have been said. Said

counselor was looking for pathology, but backed off quickly when I went mother bear and waved my creds at her. Lol.

15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

"waved my creds at her"

Might you be disposed to talk of them?

16. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sure Frank. I am a therapist. Worked with kids who were supposedly ADHD. Some were, but many suffered from poor parenting, ie, they got better if/ when their parents went for therapy. Lol.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  17. Diane Lane

Registered

I thought of this thread when I read this article. I wonder if part of this decision is based on the understanding of how overused and/or abused the medications are, and that it could lead to legal issues down the road. http://abc13.com/health/depelchin-announces-cuts-to-one-of-its-big-services/1266588/ DePelchin is a well respected organization in this area. As far as I know, they started out with adoption, and moved into the CPS and foster care treatment areas, with providing psychiatric treatment to other children as an adjunct area, so they're simply scaling back their operations, but it will have an impact on the community at large.

18. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

What do you want to bet (figuratively speaking) that these so-called 'disorders' started to become commonplace, widespread, and out-of-control when 'the powers that be' started deciding (in no particular order):

1. Allowing children to use and exercise their imaginations is 'counterproductive and negative';

2. Eliminating playtimes/recess;

3. Making sure kids have little to no time to relax and unwind.

I can hardly imagine kids of any age, especially the little guys, expected to sit silently at their desks for around 7 hours straight- virtually bursting at the seams,
    plus becoming so accustomed to every minute filled with an activity that if they do have a free minute they nearly come apart with 'boredom'.

and in some areas- like current location- it doesn';t even start at Kindergarten, the strict Structure goes down to pre-K and probably daycare, too.

Might sound simplistic, but if kids were given back their childhoods, and allowed to BE kids, I'll bet you'd see most kids would no longer have 'psychiatric diagnoses.'

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  19. Ken Anderson

Registered

Very good points. It seems that kids today are overscheduled. We didn't have that when I was a kid, and I wouldn't have wanted it. We had school, of course, but, in elementary school, we had forty-five minutes off for lunch, plus two fifteen-minute recesses. After school, those who played sports might have practices, but not like they are today. I had Boy Scouts one night a week, and church for an hour on Wednesday nights. That was it for scheduled activities, but I was far from bored and my parents didn't have to entertain me. We didn't even have television until I was in high school. During the summer, there were Boy Scout activities and Little League, but most of the time, my friends and I found things to do. I didn't know any kids who were on any kind of medication. I don't even remember anyone having asthma or allergies.

Diane Lane likes this.
  20. Frank Sanoica

Registered

My Mother, probably not unique among her peers in our non-integrated, close-knit (?) community of middle-European immigrants, somehow knew the need to keep this little monster busily entertained, either through her ministrations, or his own. My Kindergarten teacher was amazed when, all of us given paper and told to write anything, I wrote the integers, the numbers, from 1 to 100. At that time, I recognized the letter-structure of short words, but could not read, yet. Thank my mother, who never worked after her kids were born, for pre-schooling as well as home-schooling.

I should perhaps mention that, while my Mother was born in Bohemia, my Dad, whose folks came from there also, was their first-born, that being in Chicago. So, while the elders within the family preferred to speak their native tongue, my Dad's father insisted they talk English mainly, while at home, even though he, himself, never mastered English! My Dad quit school after the 8th. grade, not uncommon then. He pursued an Apprenticeship as a Tool & Die Maker in his uncle's Shop. Needing to understand Drafting, he attended night classes at the same high school I would attend, many years later.

What I'm saying is that years ago, most people seemed to recognize the fact that no one could, or would, rescue them from economic obscurity; it was up to THEM.

21. Diane Lane

Registered

I also don't like how overscheduled kids are nowadays. I think it has to do with many parents feeling they weren't able to do all of the things they wanted to do when they were younger, and trying to offer every opportunity possible to their children. Additionally, it seems many of the manufacturing jobs that paid well have been supplanted by coaching and other activities and sports related careers. I think a group looked ahead and saw dollar signs looking at baby boomers children and grandchildren, and did their best to develop a new sector so people could continue pursuing the activities they enjoyed. I think having to attend every day practices for sports, cheering, etc., is too much, especially when the children are involved in multiple sports. It's also led to the parents (particularly mothers) working their lives around the schedules of their children, detracting from couple time for the parents, and family time for all involved. I do think that was the goal, to break down the family unit and emphasize communal activities.

Ken Anderson and Martin Alonzo like this.
  22. Janice Martin

Registered

+, fewer parents (mothers AND fathers) have enough time with their kids these days to fully understand what normal childhood behavior is... so it's not surprising that they're easily conned into believing their kids have 'mental health issues' and need medication.

I can't place where I read it, but one person recently said in her school district 80% of the Kindergartners are on medications. "Something is very, very wrong."

Diane Lane likes this.
  23. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I was very lucky child when I was young the father was the only one working and could afford everything we needed so the mother was home with the children helping teach us thing we did not learn in school. When I got a little older my mother went to work because it seemed that we needed more money but what I had learn earlier came in handy to make meals for myself and this was not just opening a can. Having the house cleaned for my mom when she came home from work. Looking after the house was the responsibility of my brother and me. At school if the teacher though you needed a strap you got it and if I told my dad I would get another.
    Now thing have changed both parents need to work and there is still not enough money. When they get home it is time to clean the house make meals and prepare for the next day. The children come home to an empty house or sent to a baby sitter not much older than them. The parents come home tired and just want peace and quiet. So they send the children to another location [extra school/ scouts/ sports/ and so on] just to get them out of the house. In reality the parents have little to no interaction with their own children. The parent feel protective of children they know little about if the teacher says anything the child does not like the parents are down to the school to hold the teacher responsible for all their children problems.
    I said I was luck well so are my children one age 7 and 8 and their dad is retired and mom at home all the time so they are being brought up like I was.
    No drugs needed in this household

Diane Lane likes this.
  24. Janice Martin

Registered

Well, the way it was during my early years of school was different than these days but not better.
    Kids who were difficult, different, or out of sorts were automatically deemed bad kids, and punished or penalized in some way. And while there weren't many students in that category, with only one exception the troubled/troublesome kids had something going on in their lives- family situations- that they were not prepared to cope with. One example that comes to mind: a kid who was the oldest in a very large family, and he was basically a stand-in parent with all the responsibilities for all his younger brothers and sisters. I don't know what his father did for a living, but his mother was ill, and after she died the boy dropped out of school to raise his younger siblings.

The exception: one friend went through elementary and partway through junior high with teachers constantly calling her parents to complain about her not paying attention in class. She was in the 8th grade- 14 almost 15 yrs old- before they learned the reason was she was almost completely deaf.

In other words, it was easier to penalize students rather than find out what the real problem was.

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  25. Martin Alonzo

Registered

The sad thing today is that teachers spend more waking time with the children than the parents do. This world of politico correctness has teacher scared to say anything that can be miss understood as being offensive. I feel sorry for the teachers we expect them to teach student that do not want to learn or have an incapability to learn. It is not the teacher responsibility to diagnosis a problem their job is to teach. Diagnosis problem belongs to someone else.
    We would not ask a policeman to enforce the law without giving him the means to do so.
    We ask the teachers to teach without giving them the means to control the classroom.
    Believe or not I do not have the answer to solve this problem but I do believe it is not drugs.