Atheists More Religious Than Christians?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Dwight Ward, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I have tried to inform people on this matter...but their need to believe is so imbedded in their brains that any attempt is an exercise in futility. I decide the intelligent thing to do is to get up and to get a coffee.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

American Atheists say... https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
    Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion.
    While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. To put it in a more humorous way: If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Despite the fact that atheism is not a religion, atheism is protected by many of the same Constitutional rights that protect religion. That, however, does not mean that atheism is itself a religion, only that our sincerely held (lack of) beliefs are protected in the same way as the religious beliefs of others. Similarly, many “interfaith” groups will include atheists. This, again, does not mean that atheism is a religious belief.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Silvia Benoit

Registered

And as far as I know Buddhism and Hinduism are not religions. Sure, probably some members will tell me to research both philosophies,. even after I discussed -specially the second one- with several friends from India living in USA.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's not clear, because that's agnosticism.

5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

for comparison (varying definitions , of course)
    What is a theist? | GotQuestions.org
    gotquestions.org/what-is-a-theist.html
    Question: "What is a theist?" Answer: In the most general sense, a theist is a person who believes in at least one god or deity. Theism stands in contrast with atheism (the denial of the existence of any god) and agnosticism (the belief that the existence of a God or gods is uncertain).

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Oblivion Rules!
    Hal

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

In the meadow we can build a Snowman.
    We'll pretend that he is Parson Brown.
    He'll say "are you married?", we'll say "no man,
    But you can do the job when you're in town!"

This is what Atheism is all about...see?

H.P.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

A priest once told me: "Many believe Atheism is another religion...a new one...a new way to god.". Why? Because if Atheism is seen as the opposite of religion they would feel "forced" to revise their own way of thinking."

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That doesn’t make much sense to me.

Whether or not YOU deem Atheism as a religion or not and whether I believe Atheism is a religion or not doesn’t change my way of thinking one iota and if you’re solid with your belief, the term shouldn’t bother you either.
    It’s like me saying that I am not religious but yet say that I am a Christian. It doesn’t bother me to say that at all even though Christianity is a religion.
    The expanse of religion in all aspects covers way too much territory for me to bother with so I simply know what I believe and it’s as simple as that.

Seems to me that Atheists get real triggered when ya’ll read the definition but to tell the truth, I didn’t write it but I will repeat it if challenged to do so.
    Personally, I do not know why you or any other Atheist is so worried that a definition might accidentally change your status in life or belief system.
    You’re an Atheist, you like that, have faith in your assumptions and so be it. Simple.

Oh and....Merry Christmas. May the day find you at peace.

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I disagree. Agnostics are still searching for their truth; atheists are already convinced.

Silvia Benoit likes this.
  11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Tell it to the priest who made the comment.

12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

While you know the difference, most people don't. Actually, most believers think Atheism and Agnosticism are synonym. We Atheist refer to the Agnostics as "people on the fence".

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

[QUOTE Oh and....Merry Christmas. May the day find you at peace.[/QUOTE]

Xmas, for me and for the five generations of Atheists in my family, means "Family Day"......Peace? I always find my way to find peace.
    Too bad today is raining in NY...otherwise I would be having coffee at the local park.

Peace for you...every day. Ciao.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The main problem with looking for the truth is that especially at first, folks look for that one piece of empirical data that proves the premise without a shadow of a doubt and cannot be refuted by anyone.
    Fact is that Biblically speaking, the facts are in the scriptures but just like any other historical piece, you can choose to believe it or not. I mean, there are folks out there who do not believe that the Jews were held in German concentration camps and were being systematically eliminated.
    It’s history but that isn’t the whole equation.

The proof is in you, not on paper. Reading the scriptures only gives us a lot of history and some really great advice but beyond that, it isn’t by reading the truth that gives us our belief, it’s the experience of truth that gives us our belief.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I guess for you is a matter of syllogism. :) Gee, I told a friend " You love to tell others what is is and how to think."