Atheism And Intelligence

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't believe that's true. For those who believe that man evolved, there is evidence of pre-human religion. I wrote an article about it for my work.

You just changed religions. I created a category for Science of Mind, also known as Religious Science, a few years ago.

As to the topic of the thread, I believe that it would be accurate to say that atheists are more likely to consider themselves more intelligent than Christians, while most Christians don't think that intelligence has anything to do with it.

I have come across more dogmatic atheists than I have dogmatic Christians.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Sunny Allen

Sunny Allen Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not trying to derail this discussion, Al, but I'm curious: what makes you think that? I rely on Snopes a lot, to discover what stuff on the Internet is truth, and what is fiction. I have never heard of them being disproved; they seem very objective, scholarly, and fair to all sides.

3. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope my memory doesn't fail. Back before the Mikkelsen troubles, they opted to begin placing ads and hired an outfit to set it up. Unfortunately, some of the software conflicted with virus detection software, as some of the code had not been authorized by the various virus software companies. As a result attempts at going to Snopes.com came back as "site unreliable" or some other such phrase by the virus software companies. While the message was in regards to a possible software virus, it became popular to claim it was due to the content being unreliable.

The Mikkelsens split from the ad company prior to splitting up themselves. The term had already gained acceptance in folkfore and is oft repeated, yet specific articles that would be proven false are rarely if ever mentioned. I said software, but there was something in the codes the adware was based on. Maybe someone else remembers the debacle more clearly.

4. Ken Anderson

Snopes exists to give an air of credibility to liberal propaganda. It's nonsense, but lengthy discussions of this should be taken to another thread. The topic of this one is atheism and intelligence.

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

They don't seem to ever find anything right that goes against the liberal agenda and the backgrounds of the principals supports their actions.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I prefer to be an agnostic and take the middle ground. You can avoid a lot of arguments that way. I don't see where intelligence has anything to do with your religious beliefs or lack of them. Spirituality isn't arrived at by reason. It seems that atheism and liberalism go hand in hand, and we know how intelligent liberals are.

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Amen, Ed.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

This is BS. All the atheists I know are very strong conservatives. I agree about the lack of intelligence in liberals.

Monica Rich likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I haven't taken a poll, but I know a whole lot of liberal Christians. If I had a vote, I wouldn't consider most of them to be Christians (not for that reason but for other positions they hold, or don't hold to), but they do. In my experience, conservative atheists tend not to be evangelical about their faith. Atheists who spend more time preaching atheism than the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons spend knocking on doors tend to be liberal, so I can understand why it might seem that atheists are liberal.

Sheldon Scott and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Good point Ken. My kind of atheists simply do not believe in god. That's it. We don't try to get prayer removed from schools or any kind of activism. I do love to have a good civil discussion with people of other beliefs but don't often find any.
    Many of my Christian friends are adamant about having the ten commandments in every courthouse in the country. I really don't understand their reason. Why the courthouse of all places? Nobody will see them except lawyers and other criminals.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe they think they are the ones who need them the most.:D:D:D

Monica Rich and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not Christian but I have no problem with the posting of the 10 Commandments. What does it hurt?

Kind of like the statues of Robert E. Lee... who the hell cares? :D

Ken Anderson and Shirley Martin like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Taking the middle ground is hiding from your real convictions.You don't want to admit your Christian or your Atheistic beliefs! Nobody ever praised a "middle grounder".

Hal

Monica Rich likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am agnostic, and it is NOT "middle ground." It simply means still searching for answers. No need to be insulting to anyone, Hal.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Except for the most fervent, at either end of the scale, most people are agnostic at least part of the time.

Frank Sanoica likes this.