At Home, I'm A Tourist

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Tom Locke, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Having being flooded out of my home, I've been rehoused a couple of miles away. The only way to approach this, I think, is to view it as an extended holiday. The novelty will, no doubt, wear off, but for now, the immediate view is lovely:

IMG_4039.JPG

Not far away, a beautiful loch:

IMG_4041.JPG

Less than twenty years ago, this loch was polluted and devoid of wildlife. Now there is an abundance. This is a brilliant testament to what people can achieve by determination, even against big chemical companies.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, that's a nature trip you are having. I wonder if I we would be living in that area, my husband would surely be overwhelmed with the sights and the possible things to do there.

I was born and raised in an apartment in the city so you can imagine that I am a newbie when it comes to nature. That's why I was marveling at the story my husband was telling me when he was 5 years old. They moved to new house where the nearest neighbor is 200 meters away. And aside from the dirt road and their bungalow, all one can see are ponds, man-made maybe, that were planted with water spinach called Kangkong. The farmers would make a daily harvest and included are not only the water spinach but also the mudfish, catfish and some other fresh water fish for food.

Since the resources are there and a timely bounty since my husband's parents were having difficulty in paying the house mortgage, their usual food would be fried water spinach with fried fish caught in those ponds. It was amazing to know that those big fish measuring 1 foot long would jump out of the pond and into the dirt road. My husband's eldest brother who was 12 at that time time would scoop up the fish that would be their dinner.

3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

My temporary home is between two small towns on the east coast of Scotland. We are never too far away from the countryside and sometimes the countryside is right outside your door:

001.JPG

Happily for this small intruder, we are also vegetarians.

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

WOW! no doubt you are having a positive attitude toward your temporary move, and enjoying the surrounding nature, what demonstrates that every stumble in life may bring up an enriching experience we never though about.

Tom Locke likes this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

The alternative was screaming our heads off (okay, we did that for a few minutes) and getting upset for a long time. There's no use in that, so the best way is to look at the positives. We have a home - albeit a temporary and modest one - that the insurance company is paying for. We have cooking and washing facilities, a fridge, a television and we can even access the internet (sometimes). It's a lot more than many poor souls in this world have access to and it's a lot more than I had when I worked as a volunteer in Africa. And we have a great view.

Carlota Clemens likes this.