Assisted Living Is Expensive

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Kitty Carmel, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

While at the meeting yesterday for my stepdad, they feel he is doing well but are guarded about living independent due to this and his age.

They asked his monthly income and it falls short of the 3,000 plus to start per month of these large assisted living places. I just can't believe these prices. Those that go to the other forum know who posts a lot about his assisted living place which he can afford.

Goal is to get my stepdad back home but looking forward I don't know if this would be an option. He could supplement with savings for a few years if medical bills don't get the money. Like I mentioned he does have good supplemental insurance.

Also they want him to get some kind of life alert type thing.

Thoughts on these places? I certainly don't think it's ideal.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't comment because it's all different in the USA to here in the UK..but of course very expensive too...

I know you're referring to Lon...he pays a LOT for his assisted living, but of course he's lucky enough to be able to afford it, it's more like hotel!!

Yvonne Smith and Kitty Carmel like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, nice ones or even decent ones are expensive. I think Lon pays $5,000 a month and that's not a set price and could rise in the future.

Where he lives though is probably one of the nicer ones.

Think your best bet is to have him at his home and have a life alert button....at least for now....maybe start looking for some other options though, just in case.

This is the one Lon's at....

http://www.oakmontoffresno.com/

And this is Fresno where real estate is a little cheaper than anywhere on the coast.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you checked to see if thereare any other options @Kitty Carmel?

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you thought about having someone live with him as a caretaker? I have a friend who has a live in caretaker. He does all the cooking, cleaning , makes sure my friend takes his meds properly and takes him to the doctor, grocery store, etc.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that this is a great suggestion if you know of someone who would do a good job of taking care of your stepfather , and he would probably like it best too, if he can stay in his own home.
    Even if the person was just there for a while each day, that might work if he is recovered anough, and if you get him one of those medical alerts.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I was also thinking along those lines...it does depend on her stepfather though...if he's the type that would accept the help.

Definitely cheaper than assisted living....especially if it's not a nurse type.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that most of us , if faced with a choice of living in an assisted living type of place (and losing most of our independence) or having someone come in for a while every day, or even a live-in if necessary, would rather stay in their own home if they could do that.
    I know that from what my kids have said, their dad is seriously unhappy being in the VA home; but since he is not well enough to live alone any more, and has no one who would live with him at this point, he is pretty much stuck where he is at, and he does’t Want to move in with any of our kids either, even though they have all offered to help their dad.

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Not sure. Of coarse going home is first and seeing how it goes. From there who knows. I know those assisted living places at least have their own apartment, starting with studios. I was surprised how much they cost. Someone is making a lot of money.

His place really isn't big enough for a live in person at this point. I'm hoping for now being at home will work. At least for a time. Discharge from rehab is still about 1 month out.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross those places do cost a lot. When I listen to some of these finance shows on the radio, some people sure have money coming in or invested. I guess that's what you need to afford those places.

This isn't my choice or anything. It was mentioned by the therapist. If he slows down and I can go over and help, hopefully he can stay home. But he will be at risk for more falls.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have not had to deal with this situation personally, but there are state (and maybe federal) programs that might be able to provide assistance. In Maine, I believe that qualified people can arrange for family members to be paid to assist them in their home. I don't know what the amount is, and it's probably not the equivalent of a full-time job, but it provides some compensation for the time required. I mention this only because I don't think Maine offers a lot of stuff that they aren't compensated for through one federal program or another. This article discusses some state programs that might be of help, arranged through state elder care services.