Ash Wednesday

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Pat Baker, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Tomorrow is ash Wednesday do you have plans for the day. It is the beginning of the season of Easter.

Do you give up any thing for Lent?

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not a religious person, so I don't celebrate or observe Ash Wednesday. Isn't it a little early this year?

If you do observe Ash Wednesday, do you also celebrate Fat Tuesday? What do you do?

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I generally look for things that I have already quit doing, and give them up for Lent.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This may be an old thread but let me comment.

I was born and raised a Catholic and my husband has the same religion. We observe lent and Ash Wednesday is a holiday of obligation to us in commemoration of the beginning of the lenten season. Holiday of obligation means going to church and observing what's required of the church like abstaining from parties and lavish food, drinking of alcohol and some other activities for fun. In other words, lent is a time for reflection and we should be serious even for that one day only... until Holy Week comes.

On Ash Wednesdays, the priest would put a black cross on the forehead of the faithful. That black are ashes from the palms that were used in the previous year's Palm Sunday.