Arthritis Meds

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

As I see it, two basic types exist: pain killers, and immune system what-cha-call-ems. See lots of those in TV ads. One newer one is Cosentyx; read up on it, my death bed would have to be present before I would allow it injected. IMHO, not very well understanding of all this, looks like the immune system drugs screw-up an immune system which already screwed itself up. IOW, screwing a screw-up is an unscrewing, of sorts. But the possible adverse effects? Wow.

Mine is screwed up, somewhat. First hint was a few years ago, only the backs of my fingers began to get red and raw, sometimes itching, sometimes only one or two, other times all 10. Ignored, or scratched then ignored, asmall, dime-sized patch might show up on a forearm, itching like mad. Finally, and I gotta love my new Doctor, I brought it to his attention, remarking that it first appeared on the fingers, which had earlier begun to show painful, stiff joints. Could it be related? Arthritic Psoriasis?

He studied my hands, asked lots of questions, thought a long time, then said he agreed with my diagnosis. But, it COULD be wrong. We could have tests run, to positively diagnose it, but what then? Treatment same as what we'd do now. The cause is understood, but the REASON for the cause is not. (quoting Dr Ken, as he prefers he be called). I got Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% ointment, an old-time steroidal, an itch shows up, or red fingers, smear a bit on, no more symptoms for a day or two.

Just wondering if anyone here utilizes some of the high-powered (immune-system affectors) meds for Arthritis control? Frank

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm always fascinated by hearing that you all get medication adverts on your TV commercials .. thank God that's not permitted here.. ( other than OTC).. but meds that you can only get on prescription are not advertised !

However in answer to your question, i wish I knew the answer... because every day my hands are getting more and more deformed with RA...doc says nothing can be done..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been on meloxicam which is an anti-inflammatory for years now.. Before that I was on Arthrotec which also was very good but my doctor likes this meloxicam better as it doesn't create any stomach problems..
    Naturally it works with ABSOLUTELY NO side effects..
    I take one pill with breakfast (during the meal) and one pill with supper (during the meal), 2 pills daily of 7.5mg each.......
    When I was told to stop the pill one week before surgery, I really noticed the difference..... BIG TIME !!!
    When I went back on the pill, it took about 3 days and I felt like a new person again..

Now, I have NO idea what the cost of this medication is as we up here have Medicare and all prescriptions, regardless of what it is, costs $2.00 for a 100 day supply..

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a couple of prescriptions, a couple of herbal supplements, and a balm, but none of these things can totally stop the nagging/achy osteoarthritis pain I get daily in my left shoulder and sometimes in my right shoulder as well. All are short-term. Appears that I'll be using this stuff for the rest of my life.

BUT, have found out that this pain isn't as bad, still there, but not as bad, in the high elevation of Colorado than here at 17 feet elevation of Jacksonville, FL.

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    Unfortunately,......"Meloxicam use can result in gastrointestinal toxicity and bleeding, headaches, rash, and very dark or black stool (a sign of intestinal bleeding). Like other NSAIDs, its use is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack and stroke."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam#Adverse_effects

I have a bottle of it sitting here, having taken only a few. Dr. told me OK to take only as needed, like aspirin.
    Frank

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

@Frank Sanoica, this is why I now take Devil's Claw, Turmeric and use the balm...…...so I don't have to take as much ibuprofen as I use to.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    In my case, pain is not all that severe, in fact sometimes no pain at all, but rather stiffness in my finger joints, neck, and shoulders, a feeling like they just don't want to bend. I can hardly ball up a fist anymore. Never feared a barroom brawl, before! ;) I took a variety of herbals, including Turmeric, for at least a year, but with little noticrable result. Fortunately, it hasn't yet settled anywhere affecting my ability to walk, to get around.
    Frank

8. Steve North

Registered

Frank.. I have been taking anti-inflammatory pills for my arthritis for many years.. About 20 years or so..
    I have NOT ever had any reaction or side effects from any of the NSAID's I ever took.. If they help me to the point of giving me a good quality of life, then what the heck.. No stomach problems or anything else..
    If they will cut my life short, then I again won't complain as I am pushing 80 anyway..
    So far, so good.. No problems and they surely are helping me to no end.....
    I am not concerned about the cost of the pills or even some natural remedies.. The pills cost me practically nothing.. $2.00 for 100 days supply.. That is what we pay for ANY prescription regardless what it is..

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I totally agree. Basically, whatever works. I still take 800mg ibuprofen, prescribed by my VA doctor on a daily basis and have been since mid 2015, when I fell in our parking lot. Stopped for a few months, because I had rotator cuff surgery and was on Percocet for post-surgery pain before and after PT sessions.

My wife will sometimes take a 200mg Motrin to help her sleep and when she has some arthritis pain somewhere in her body.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

After my "outside the VA" ortho surgeon stopped my prescription of Percocet, I told my VA doctor about the rotator cuff surgery I had and that I was getting nagging/achy pain in the shoulder yet. Went back to the ortho surgeon and got an x-ray and MRI of the shoulder and osteoarthritis was noted in the cuff cup area. Both the x-ray and MRI showed the rotator cuff surgery went fine, but that I still had a very small tendon tear still. Ortho surgeon told me that the tear was too small to worry about, that the osteoarthritis in the shoulder is the pain I'm feeling daily. I have FROM (full range of motion) in both shoulders, so the pain has to be the arthritis.

So, after the x-ray and MRI, my VA doctor prescribed me 50mg Tramadol, to be taken only once a day (AM) and every-other day. 50mg Tramadol is the lowest strength Tramadol comes in. Some days the pain can be handled with an 800mg ibuprofen, the herbal supplements and the balm, while other days I use the Tramadol. I try to only use Tramadol on days that I know I'll be really actively using the shoulder.

Sometime in the future, most likely after we move, I won't be able to get the Tramadol, so will have to rely on the ibuprofen, herbal supplements and balm...…...like I did yesterday and done fine.

11. Steve North

Registered

Cody............ and ....... Frank....... and everyone else....
    Whatever works for you and you are happy with it is OK.....
    When the time comes that you are not satisfied with your situation, then it is time to do something about it ...
    I had problems with arthritis in the hips and shoulders from playing Hockey in the late 1950's and did something about it.. I am perfectly OK now and happy I made that decision..

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Tramadol is one of those pesky opioids, and as such, as you mentioned, may become difficult to obtain. I would try it, if I could. Frank

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, my VA doctor gives me a 15 day prescription per month, to be taken every-other day. At 8AM this morning, I took a 50mg Tramadol and 45 minutes later, while having breakfast out, took a Turmeric and Devil's Claw. Here it is now 1:41PM and the shoulder is still doing fine. Perhaps, so I won't have to take an 800mg ibuprofen at 5:30PM, I'll take another Turmeric and Devil's Claw and put some 1000mg CBD balm on the shoulder.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Long-term use of NSAIDs after age 50 should be accompanied by some form of kidney function test, as NSAIDs are known to be hard on the kidneys of us older folks. I took less than the maximum daily amount of ibuprofen after my back injury, trying to avoid the opiates. I ended up hospitalized suffering from ibuprofen-induced nephrosis and they were preparing to put me on dialysis when my kidneys suddenly and mysteriously recovered normal function. I was to never take ibuprofen again, but I do, on occasion use a low dose. Some physicians are now even backing off use of low-dose aspirin due to the risk of kidney failure. I think the NSAIDs are wonderful drugs for many people, but be aware of the risks. Long-term use of high-dose NSAIDs can lead to increased pain sensitivity, a mild sort of addiction, which will lead to the pain being GREATER when you stop them than it would have been had you not been taking them long-term. This is a consequence of long-term, high-level use, such as in severe arthritis. Have any of you used Gabapentin or any of the other "scramblers" for your pain? How does it work for you?

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    Glad you mentioned this. My nephew, denied more Hydrocodone by the VA for his back pain, was given gabapentin, but all he could recall of it's name was "gaba----". I will now research it!
    Frank