Are You Religious or Spiritual?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Martin Alonzo, May 3, 2015.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Religious people tend to be judgemental because they think that their religion is right making everyone else’s is not right.

This is the major cause of most problems on earth [wars].

They need to be threaten to do the right thing, ten commandments, damnation, civil law, jail.

Spiritual people tend to be able to accept the beliefs of others without judgment.

They quest for peace and if they make a stand it is none violent. [Gandhi]

They do not need to be threaten to do the right thing.

My father said that religion is like a crutch if you need it‘s fine but don’t force your crutch on me.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm neither religious nor spiritual but it seems to me you are being judgmental about religious people.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A fact of life is that there are things that are right, and there are things that are wrong, and a refusal to acknowledge that can be dangerous.

This is an example of one of those things that are wrong. It is pure propaganda brought about by those who are opposed to religion, effective on the basis that as long as a statement is repeated frequently, people will believe it. I won't go through it all again here, as I have already done so in another thread, so I'll just quote from myself there.

If you knew something that would make the difference between someone spending eternity in heaven or in hell, it would be cruel for you not to want to share it with as many people as possible, and particularly those whom you love the most.

Lara Moss and Brittany Houser like this.
  4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

It's dangerous to generalise about anything. I'm sure that many religious people are spiritual too, and most are good people, but a few extremists give others of their faith a bad name.

I don't think I'd fit into either category though. Although I celebrate the major holidays related to the faith I was born into, I regard myself as agnostic. Sometimes I wish I had the "crutch" of religion to lean on, but I can't practice something I don't believe in.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Here is some interesting information about religion.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson said:
    "If you knew something that would make the difference between someone spending eternity in heaven or in hell, it would be cruel for you not to want to share it with as many people as possible, and particularly those whom you love the most"

The problem with that is nobody knows such a thing. Many people of many different beliefs claim to know but none of them do.

I like discussing differing beliefs with people but too many don't want a discussion, they just want to reform you because they know they are right and they don't care to listen to other opinions.

7. Martin Alonzo

Registered

This is why the church want all the children to go to church because they know your values and beliefs are set by the age of 7.
    Most people will fall back to their values and beliefs to make their judgements and will refuse to allow anything to challenge their beliefs.

8. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm an atheist, so I am neither spiritual nor religious. I am, however, extremely interested in religion, because I think that it tells you a lot about a person and explains their behavior to some degree.

I actually believe in a lot of precepts in the Bible, especially in the New Testament dealing with Jesus' teachings. The Golden Rule and all that. I think that the Jesus figure was an extremely wise, compassionate, tolerant educator - one who saw a future where we would all get along - the Jews, the Romans, the lepers and the whores. All would be equal and treated fairly, compassionately and humanely.

Unfortunately, he was wrong. His beliefs and teaching just served to divide us even more. But that's a failing of human nature, not of his teachings.

Sheldon Scott and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, I can know it. I may not be able to make you believe it but that is true of several things that are known by some and not others.

10. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't quite understand the premise that has been proposed, drawing a line between religious and spiritual. We are ALL spiritual beings, but Jesus talked about "pure religion," as the act of giving, loving and taking care of others. I think it's all a matter of respecting everyone's personal beliefs. Unfortunately, I don't see Christians being afforded that same courtesy these days. If we're devout, we're branded as "religious," with the most negative connotations.

Lara Moss and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Regardless of my faith and the path I walk, I feel that my God understands me. And that knowledge alone is my salvation.

Ina I. Wonder and Mal Campbell like this.
  12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess I am more of a spritual person then a religious one. I was raised Catholic and I grew up going to mass. But I found myself not able to completely stand behind all that the Catholic faith stood for and expected all their members to stand for. An example I a pro choice when it comes to abortion I know this is an issue that isn't as cut and dry at the Catholic church makes it. I also support birth control and feel that the church needs to come into the 21st century where this issue is concern. I also have no issue with same sex couples or marriage. So, I eventually left the church, but still have a strong belief in God. To me God is a forgiving God and only God has the right to stand in judgement of others not a religious group.

13. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I appreciate the religion I was brought up into. There, I learned values, Creation, asking questions and understanding in the Biblical worldview, the awareness of the existence of the Creator of the universe animal kingdom and humankind. In this religion, I learned that, "Yahweh, Almighty God, a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness and truth." Exodus 34:6-7.

My faith in God and love for him is manifested in my whole being: spiritual, emotional, physical (deeds) and mental responses to His truth.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  14. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to be kind of religious Catholic, but after the death of my Step father I stopped going to the church and praying.
    I feel a big grief, and I turned away from God.

15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Long-serving atheist and very happy that way.

Sheldon Scott likes this.